1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace?

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    Hey,

I have a linear algebra exam tomorrow and am finding it hard to figure out how to calculate an orthogonal projection onto a subspace.

Here is the actual question type i am stuck on:
    q2b.jpg

I have spent ages searching the depths of google and other such places for a solution but with no look. I am really stuck and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could maybe give me a helping hand and try explain this to me.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice that your u and v are already orthogonal unit vectors. So the component of w in the u direction would be w dot u and in the v direction would be w dot v. So the nearest point in the plane to w would be (w dot u)u + (w dot v)v. Subtract this from w to get the orthogonal projection.

4. Aug 23, 2010 #3
    Hey thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit confused though. You see i actually managed to get the solution for this problem from my lecturer just there:

ans.jpg

But he doesnt subtract from w that i know of and his result for <w,u>u is
    1/2 [5]
    [0]
    [-5]

should it not be:
    1/2 [2]
    [0]
    [-3]?

do you know why this is? i have been tricking around with it and just cant seem to understand it. It would appear to be straightforward enough but i just cant see it.

5. Aug 23, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What he has calculated is the "shadow" of w on the subspace which is what he apparently meant by the orthogonal projection onto the subspace. What I suggested to you was the component of w orthogonal to the subspace. Stick with his definition. His calculation is correct; just don't subtract it from w.

6. Aug 23, 2010 #5
    Thanks a million, a real help!

7. Aug 23, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The quantity <w,u> is a plain old number. In this case, <w,u>=-5. He then multiplies the vector [1,0,-1] by it. To get the scalar multiple of a vector, you just multiply each component by the scalar, so you get [5,0,-5].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook