1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal vector equation (Ax=b)

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    Hi

I'm having problems understanding vector representation in the form Ax=B could someone please point me in the right direction

A vector equation for a given straight line is r = (i + 3j) + t(-i-j).
    i) Show that the point (1,2) does not lie on this line.
    ii) Construct a vector equation for the line that does go through the point (1;2), and is
    perpendicular to r.
    iii) Determine the point of intersection of the two lines.

For i) i have set up parametric equations
    (x)=(1-t)
    (y)=(3-t)
    and substituted in x=1 and y=2
    t is not the same, therefore it does not lie on the line.
    For part ii) I have no idea on how to start I tried substituting t as 1 and then 2 which was wrong.
    I know that the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is 0

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

danago

Gold Member

In terms of the point (1,2) and any other general point (x,y) on the second line, can you find a vector (call it a) which is parallel to the line (i.e. it points in the same direction as the line)? Then, can you find a vector (call it b) that is parallel to the first line?

These two vectors, a and b, should be orthogonal. As you pointed out, their dot product should be zero. Can you come up with an equation based on this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted