Orthogonal vector equation (Ax=b)

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding vector representation in the form Ax=B and solving for the point of intersection of two lines. The first line is given in vector form and the second line needs to be constructed to go through the point (1,2) and be perpendicular to the first line. The use of parametric equations and the concept of orthogonal vectors is mentioned in solving this problem.
jt16733
Hi

I'm having problems understanding vector representation in the form Ax=B could someone please point me in the right direction

A vector equation for a given straight line is r = (i + 3j) + t(-i-j).
i) Show that the point (1,2) does not lie on this line.
ii) Construct a vector equation for the line that does go through the point (1;2), and is
perpendicular to r.
iii) Determine the point of intersection of the two lines.

For i) i have set up parametric equations
(x)=(1-t)
(y)=(3-t)
and substituted in x=1 and y=2
t is not the same, therefore it does not lie on the line.
For part ii) I have no idea on how to start I tried substituting t as 1 and then 2 which was wrong.
I know that the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is 0

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of the point (1,2) and any other general point (x,y) on the second line, can you find a vector (call it a) which is parallel to the line (i.e. it points in the same direction as the line)? Then, can you find a vector (call it b) that is parallel to the first line?

These two vectors, a and b, should be orthogonal. As you pointed out, their dot product should be zero. Can you come up with an equation based on this?

1. What is an orthogonal vector equation?

An orthogonal vector equation is a mathematical representation of a system of linear equations where the vectors are perpendicular or at right angles to each other.

2. What is A in the equation Ax=b?

A in the equation Ax=b represents the coefficient matrix, which contains the coefficients of the variables in the system of equations.

3. What is b in the equation Ax=b?

b in the equation Ax=b represents the right-hand side vector, which contains the constants in the system of equations.

4. What is the solution to an orthogonal vector equation?

The solution to an orthogonal vector equation is the set of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This is often represented as a vector x=[x1, x2, x3,...xn]T.

5. How is an orthogonal vector equation solved?

An orthogonal vector equation can be solved using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination, matrix inversion, or using software like MATLAB. The goal is to manipulate the equation to isolate the variable vector x and find its values that satisfy the equation.