Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Muh. Fauzi M.
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
I have a problem when trying to proof orthogonality of associated Laguerre polynomial. I substitute Rodrigue's form of associated Laguerre polynomial :

upload_2015-3-17_17-49-19.png

​
to mutual orthogonality equation :

upload_2015-3-17_17-49-40.png

and set, first for
upload_2015-3-17_17-50-7.png
and second for
upload_2015-3-17_17-50-20.png
.

But after some step, I get trouble with this stuff :

upload_2015-3-17_17-50-31.png

I've already search solution for this form but still no light. Any body here could help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The best way is using the differential equation. Write it for ## L^k_n ## and ## L^k_m ##. Then multiply the first by ## L^k_m## and the second by ## L^k_n ##. Then subtract one from the other. Come back if you encounter a problem!
 
Last edited:
Shyan said:
The best way is using the differential equation. Write it for ## L^k_n ## and ## L^k_m ##. Then multiply the first by ## L^k_m## and the second by ## L^k_n ##. Then subtract one from the other. Come back if you encounter a problem!
Well I still didn't get it. ## L^k_n ## has a rodrigues form and also associated Laguerre polynomial. Which one I need to use?
 
Muh. Fauzi M. said:
Well I still didn't get it. ## L^k_n ## has a rodrigues form and also associated Laguerre polynomial. Which one I need to use?
I said the differential equation, which is:
## x \frac{d^2 L_n^{k}}{dx^2} +(k+1-x) \frac{dL_n^{k}}{dx} +n L_n^k =0##
 
Shyan said:
I said the differential equation, which is:
## x \frac{d^2 L_n^{k}}{dx^2} +(k+1-x) \frac{dL_n^{k}}{dx} +n L_n^k =0##
Nah... I got it. But still, I am stuck when connecting it with the orthogonality...
 
Muh. Fauzi M. said:
Nah... I got it. But still, I am stuck when connecting it with the orthogonality...
I explained it in that post! Just write the equation two times for ## L_m^k ## and ## L_n^k##. Then multiply the first by ## L_n^k## and the second by ## L_m^k ## and subtract one from the other. Then find an integrating factor and multiply the equation by it. You'll find out how to continue but come back if you didn't.