1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    I have a problem when trying to proof orthogonality of associated Laguerre polynomial. I substitute Rodrigue's form of associated Laguerre polynomial :

upload_2015-3-17_17-49-19.png
    to mutual orthogonality equation :

upload_2015-3-17_17-49-40.png

and set, first for upload_2015-3-17_17-50-7.png and second for upload_2015-3-17_17-50-20.png .

But after some step, I get trouble with this stuff :

upload_2015-3-17_17-50-31.png

I've already search solution for this form but still no light. Any body here could help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The best way is using the differential equation. Write it for ## L^k_n ## and ## L^k_m ##. Then multiply the first by ## L^k_m## and the second by ## L^k_n ##. Then subtract one from the other. Come back if you encounter a problem!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. Mar 17, 2015 #3
    Well I still didn't get it. ## L^k_n ## has a rodrigues form and also associated Laguerre polynomial. Which one I need to use?

5. Mar 17, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I said the differential equation, which is:
    ## x \frac{d^2 L_n^{k}}{dx^2} +(k+1-x) \frac{dL_n^{k}}{dx} +n L_n^k =0##

6. Mar 22, 2015 #5
    Nah... I got it. But still, I am stuck when connecting it with the orthogonality....

7. Mar 23, 2015 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I explained it in that post! Just write the equation two times for ## L_m^k ## and ## L_n^k##. Then multiply the first by ## L_n^k## and the second by ## L_m^k ## and subtract one from the other. Then find an integrating factor and multiply the equation by it. You'll find out how to continue but come back if you didn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted