1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillating in Simple Harmonic Motion?

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 200-g object is oscillating in simple harmonic monition with an amplitude of 2 cm and a period of 0.4 seconds. Find the velocity when its displacement from the equilibrium position is 0.5 cm.

2. Relevant equations
    Restoring Force = -(constant force)(displacement)
    Elastic PE = 1/2 k(s squared)
    velocity = [itex]\sqrt{k/m(A squared - s squared}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just need help finding the constant force. If I can figure out how to solve that variable, I can finish the problem just fine.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think you mean the "force constant", k, for the spring. Why not consider the formula for the period of a mass-spring system?

Also try using the x2 and x2 icons in the edit frame header to produce superscripts and subscripts :wink:

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    I missed them too.
    Hope they are repositioned at Quick Symbols and adding new symbol, 1/2.

Thank you.

5. Apr 24, 2012 #4
    Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed that - I think the first part of this homework fried my brain before I got to this and I just forgot to look at my other equations! However, when I acquired a k value of 49.35 and did the equation in my original post for velocity, I acquired a negative number under the radical, therefore giving me a non-real answer. Am I doing something wrong?

6. Apr 24, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your value for k looks fine (you should include units when you present a number).

The equation you wrote for velocity is okay. Maybe finger problems on the calculator? :smile:
    Why not show your calculation step by step?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook