1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation damped oscillations ? how to calculate energy after t

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. A damped oscillator's amplitude dec¡eases from 8 cm to 4 cm in 20 seconds, If the intial energy of the oscillator is 64 J, what is the energy âfter 40 seconds? (Recall: E: (l/2)kA2)

2. Relevant equations
    not sure how to approach the problem

3. The attempt at a solution

intia E which is 64J = k*A^2 solve for k since 64 = K * 0.08^2. k = 9375 N

problem how do I take the damped oscillator into account for after 40 seconds

so after 40 seconds E = 9375*A^2 ??? or am i doing it wrong totally

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know the mathematical expression as the amplitude of a damped oscillator changes with time?

ehild

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    is it A=Ae^-t/2T where T= M/b ?? i'm not sure what the time constant is in this case ? or would i apply the forumla A = sqrt( xo^2 + (vo/w)^2) ?? in which case i have no idea what the v or the w and the xo is since distance is constantly changing

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read the problem: The amplitude decreases from 8 cm to 4 cm in 20 seconds. The amplitude decreases exponentially, as you have written, A=Ainitiale^(-t/2T). Plug in the data: what is the time constant?

ehild

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5
    would the time constant be 20 seconds since amplitude is decreased at 20 seconds, since T = m/b how do i calculate for T if the time constant isn't 20 seconds, but I think the time constant is indeed 20 seconds since the amplitude changes at 20 seconds

7. Feb 29, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The amplitude decreased to half in 20 seconds. The energy is proportional to the amplitude. So the energy would decrease to 1/4 of the initial value in 20 seconds. In 40 seconds, the amplitude halves again. What about energy?

If general case, when the amplitude changes from A1 to A2 in t seconds,

[tex]A_2=A_1 e^{-\frac{t}{2T}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{t}{2T}=\ln(\frac{A_1}{A_2 })[/tex]

ehild

8. Feb 29, 2012 #7
    ahh i see so using the ln equation i can use the ln equation using A1 = 8 cm and A2= 4 cm, then I can figure out T ?

then using that constant I can figure out A = (0.08m)*e^(-t/2T) ??? with that I can plug into E= KA^s ???

9. Feb 29, 2012 #8
    but would the K apply since i found K using intial energy and initial amplitutde

10. Feb 29, 2012 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Yes, but you can use the energy directly. As the energy is proportional to the square of the amplitude, the energy also decreases exponentially
    [tex]A_2^2=A_1^2(e^{-\frac{t}{2T}})^2=A_1^2e^{-\frac{t}{T}}[/tex]
    [tex]E_2=E_1e^{-t/T}[/tex].

E1=64J, and you know T.

ehild

11. Feb 29, 2012 #10
    so the k will still work plugging into second E=K*A^2 with the new A, and thank you did not know most of the equations you posted my prof sucks!!!! got all the hard equations

12. Feb 29, 2012 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am glad if it cleared ...

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook