Oscillation damped oscillations ? how to calculate energy after t

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
masterburn
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



3. A damped oscillator's amplitude dec¡eases from 8 cm to 4 cm in 20 seconds, If the intial energy of the oscillator is 64 J, what is the energy âfter 40 seconds? (Recall: E: (l/2)kA2)

Homework Equations


not sure how to approach the problem


The Attempt at a Solution



intia E which is 64J = k*A^2 solve for k since 64 = K * 0.08^2. k = 9375 N

problem how do I take the damped oscillator into account for after 40 seconds

so after 40 seconds E = 9375*A^2 ? or am i doing it wrong totally
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the mathematical expression as the amplitude of a damped oscillator changes with time? ehild
 
is it A=Ae^-t/2T where T= M/b ?? I'm not sure what the time constant is in this case ? or would i apply the formula A = sqrt( xo^2 + (vo/w)^2) ?? in which case i have no idea what the v or the w and the xo is since distance is constantly changing
 
Read the problem: The amplitude decreases from 8 cm to 4 cm in 20 seconds. The amplitude decreases exponentially, as you have written, A=Ainitiale^(-t/2T). Plug in the data: what is the time constant?

ehild
 
would the time constant be 20 seconds since amplitude is decreased at 20 seconds, since T = m/b how do i calculate for T if the time constant isn't 20 seconds, but I think the time constant is indeed 20 seconds since the amplitude changes at 20 seconds
 
The amplitude decreased to half in 20 seconds. The energy is proportional to the amplitude. So the energy would decrease to 1/4 of the initial value in 20 seconds. In 40 seconds, the amplitude halves again. What about energy?

If general case, when the amplitude changes from A1 to A2 in t seconds,

[tex]A_2=A_1 e^{-\frac{t}{2T}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{t}{2T}=\ln(\frac{A_1}{A_2 })[/tex]

ehild
 
ahh i see so using the ln equation i can use the ln equation using A1 = 8 cm and A2= 4 cm, then I can figure out T ?

then using that constant I can figure out A = (0.08m)*e^(-t/2T) ? with that I can plug into E= KA^s ?
 
but would the K apply since i found K using intial energy and initial amplitutde
 
masterburn said:
ahh i see so using the ln equation i can use the ln equation using A1 = 8 cm and A2= 4 cm, then I can figure out T ?

Yes.

masterburn said:
then using that constant I can figure out A = (0.08m)*e^(-t/2T) ? with that I can plug into E= KA^s ?

Yes, but you can use the energy directly. As the energy is proportional to the square of the amplitude, the energy also decreases exponentially
[tex]A_2^2=A_1^2(e^{-\frac{t}{2T}})^2=A_1^2e^{-\frac{t}{T}}[/tex]
[tex]E_2=E_1e^{-t/T}[/tex].

E1=64J, and you know T.


ehild
 
so the k will still work plugging into second E=K*A^2 with the new A, and thank you did not know most of the equations you posted my prof sucks! got all the hard equations