Oscillation, Frequency, Amplitude etc Hmwk Problem

In summary: You're a life saver!In summary, the mass oscillates at a frequency of 2.0 Hz and has a maximum speed of 0.69 m/s. The mechanical energy is 0.049 J when the mass is at x = 5.0 cm and has vx = -30 cm/s.
LBRRIT2390

Homework Statement

A 200g mass attached to a horrizontal spring oscillates at a frequency of 2.0 Hz. At one instant, the mass is at x=5.0cm and has vx = -30cm/s.

A. Determine the period. T= ____seconds

B. Determine the amplitude. A =____cm

C. Determine the maximum speed. vmax = ____ cm/s

D. Determine the total energy. ____ J

Homework Equations

A. T = 1/frequency

B. ?

C. vmax= 2(pi)(f)(A) = 2piA/T

D. ?

Others: deltaL = mg/k where k=spring constant

The Attempt at a Solution

A. Answer = 0.5 seconds from T = 1/f... T = 1/(2.0Hz)... T=0.5 secods

B.

C. vmax=2pi(2.0Hz)(A)

D.

I'm not looking for just the answers; I am in desperate need of an explanation of HOW to do the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical energy is conserved. What is the mechanical energy when the mass is at x=5.0 cm and has vx = -30 cm/s? That's the answer to part D.

What is an expression for the mechanical energy when the particle is at maximum displacement, i.e. when x = A? Write an equation and solve for A. This will give you the answer to part B.

Thank you,
I was able out to figure out the problem last night by following a post on yahoo. I want to post it step by step here for other stumped students:

Part B. Determine the amplitude.
w = 2(pi)f
w = 2(pi)(2.0Hz)
w = 12.6 rad/sec

v = w Sqrt(A2-x2)
-0.30 = (12.6rad/sec) Sqrt[ (A2) - (0.502m) ]
-0.0238 = Sqrt[ (A2) - 0.25 ]
-0.02382 = A2 - 0.25
-5.6644x10-4 = A2 - 0.25
0.2494 = A2
Sqrt (0.2494) = A
A = 0.4994m --> 5.0 cm
****** However, the correct answer from Mastering Physics is 5.5cm, where did I mess up?
A = 5.5 cm

Part C. Determine the maximum speed.
vmax = wA
vmax = (12.6rad/s)(0.055m)
vmax = 0.69m --> 70 cm

Part D. Determine the total energy.
Etotal = (mvmax2) / 2
Etotal = (0.2kg)(0.72m) / 2
Etotal = 0.049 J

LBRRIT2390 said:
v = w Sqrt(A2-x2)
-0.30 = (12.6rad/sec) Sqrt[ (A2) - (0.502m) ]
-0.0238 = Sqrt[ (A2) - 0.25 ]
-0.02382 = A2 - 0.25
-5.6644x10-4 = A2 - 0.25
0.2494 = A2
Sqrt (0.2494) = A
A = 0.4994m --> 5.0 cm
****** However, the correct answer from Mastering Physics is 5.5cm, where did I mess up?

When you square both sides, the left side must be positive.

Oh! thank you so much kuruman!

1. What is oscillation?

Oscillation refers to the repetitive back and forth motion of an object or system around a central point or equilibrium. This motion occurs at a fixed frequency and amplitude.

2. What is frequency?

Frequency is a measure of how many cycles or complete oscillations occur in a given time period. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz), where one Hz represents one cycle per second.

3. What is amplitude?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of an oscillating object or system from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the oscillation.

4. How are frequency and period related?

Frequency and period are inversely related. The period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation to occur, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time. As frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

5. How do you calculate the frequency of an oscillating system?

The frequency of an oscillating system can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles by the time it takes for those cycles to occur. Alternatively, if the period of the oscillation is known, the frequency can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the period.