1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation / Soundwaves Question - Phase difference?

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    An observer stands 3 m from speaker A and 4 m from speaker B. Both speakers,
    oscillating in phase, produce 170 Hz waves. The speed of sound in air is 340 m/s.
    What is the phase difference (in radians) between the waves from A and B at the
    observer’s location, point P?

And I have no idea how to solve this :confused: :uhh:

Basically looks like:

P---------B (4m away)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    A (3m away)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

tms

Think about what what a phase difference means, and then think about wavelengths and distances, and how all three are related.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    I get that graphically a phase shift means it's literally shifted across the x-axis. But I can't think of an equation that would relate this an the distance.

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

tms

If you draw two sine waves, one shifted a bit relative to the other, on the same graph, a distance should jump out at you.

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5
    :confused: But we don't know the phase...

I get that they're 1m apart and it covers 340 m every second so the phase would be out of sync by 1/340.. do I convert that to radians then?

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6

tms

The 340 m/sec is the speed of sound. You need to know the wavelength of the emitted sound, and compare that to the distance between the speakers.

8. Feb 16, 2013 #7
    Okay, so it travels 170 waves / s and one of the speakers is 1m further so it's out of phase by 170 waves (not sure how to get that into rads) but I feel like we need the speed of sound in there somewhere..

9. Feb 16, 2013 #8

tms

You are assuming that the wavelength is one meter; that is something you need to calculate using the wave speed and the frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook