Oscillatory motion equation in sine function

In summary, the equation y = A sin(kx - wt + pi/2) is equivalent to both y = A cos(kx - wt) and y = -A sin(kx - wt - pi/2) due to the trigonometric identities cos(x) = cos(-x) and cos(θ)=sin[θ+(π/2)]. Therefore, both options b) and d) are correct.
grangr

Homework Statement

The equation y = A sin(kx - wt + pi/2) is the same as
a. y = -A sin(kx - wt + pi/2)
b. y = A cos(kx - wt)
c. y = -A cos(kx - wt)
d. y = -A sin(kx - wt - pi/2)
e. y = A sin(kx - wt + (3pi)/2)

Homework Equations

• y = A sin[(2pi)/lamda * x - (2pi)/period * t + (phase constant)]
  • sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted answer was d., while the correct answer given was b.

I do not understand why d. is wrong, as after a left shift of pi (from the '-pi/2' in the phase constant) in the sine function, when the sign is inverted (given the '-' before A), the resulting y should be the same. No?

I do not get why b. is the correct answer, either. Even with the fact that sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x), wouldn't you get y = A cos(-kx + wt) then?Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an answer :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_20180118_223204_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180118_223204_hdr.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 905
Likes grangr
Nguyen Son said:
Here's an answer :wink:
OK, perhaps the long way around.
Realize sin(a+ pi/2) = cos(a)
a = kx-wt

Likes grangr and Nguyen Son
I did that because he/she knows that sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x), like he/she said above, but he/she didn't know how to solve this problem with sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x), so I did in that way :D

Nguyen Son said:
I did that because he/she knows that sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x), like he/she said above, but he/she didn't know how to solve this problem with sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x), so I did in that way :D
Sorry, I thought your post was the OP's answer. But you should not post complete answers, just hints.

grangr said:

Homework Statement

The equation y = A sin(kx - wt + pi/2) is the same as
a. y = -A sin(kx - wt + pi/2)
b. y = A cos(kx - wt)
c. y = -A cos(kx - wt)
d. y = -A sin(kx - wt - pi/2)
e. y = A sin(kx - wt + (3pi)/2)

Homework Equations

• y = A sin[(2pi)/lamda * x - (2pi)/period * t + (phase constant)]
  • sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted answer was d., while the correct answer given was b.

I do not understand why d. is wrong, as after a left shift of pi (from the '-pi/2' in the phase constant) in the sine function, when the sign is inverted (given the '-' before A), the resulting y should be the same. No?

I do not get why b. is the correct answer, either. Even with the fact that sin(x) = cos(pi/2 - x), wouldn't you get y = A cos(-kx + wt) then?Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

##\cos(\theta) = \sin(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}) = - \sin(\theta - \frac{\pi}{2})##

So, both b) and d) are correct.

Likes grangr
Thank you all, Nguyen Son, rude man, and Perok for your explanation. It is much clearer now. :partytime: (And it's good to know that both b) and d) are correct! :wink:)

Indeed, I totally did not recall that cos(x) = cos(-x), or that cos(θ)=sin[θ+(π/2)]. :doh: As it turns out, it wasn't a physics problem to me, but more of a math problem... :sorry:

1. What is the equation for oscillatory motion in a sine function?

The equation for oscillatory motion in a sine function is y = A sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase shift.

2. How is the amplitude related to the maximum displacement in oscillatory motion?

The amplitude is equal to half of the maximum displacement in oscillatory motion. It represents the maximum distance from the equilibrium point that the object will travel during its motion.

3. What is the period of oscillatory motion?

The period of oscillatory motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the motion. It is equal to 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency.

4. How does the angular frequency affect the oscillatory motion?

The angular frequency determines the speed at which the object oscillates. A higher angular frequency results in a faster motion, while a lower angular frequency results in a slower motion.

5. Can the sine function be used to model all types of oscillatory motion?

Yes, the sine function is a universal equation for oscillatory motion and can be used to model all types of oscillatory motion, including simple harmonic motion, damped harmonic motion, and driven harmonic motion.