1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillatory solution for a given Lagrangian

1. Mar 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following Lagrangian:

[tex] L = \frac{m}{2}(x'^2+y'^2+z'^2) + \frac{q}{2}(xy'-yx') [/tex]

Where q denotes a charged particle.

a) Find the equations of motion
    b) Find the solution for z
    c) Find the solution in the x-y plane, and prove that it corresponds to an oscillatory motion along both axes.

3. The attempt at a solution

Considering the Euler-Lagrange equations, the solution for coordinate z is given by:

d/dt (mz') = 0
    Thus, a solution for z corresponds to a uniform linear motion along z axis.

For x and y, I get the following systems of dif. equations:

mx'' - qy' = 0
    my'' + qx' = 0

I tried solving this system by integrating and substituting,

i.e. mx'' = qy' /integrate
    mx' = qy + C
    x' = qy/m + C

Substituting, we get
    y'' + y(q^2)/(m^2) = C

The inverse process could be done to get an equation for x.

Which I do not think is the right answer, and I don't know how many laws of mathematics I violated while doing that. Could anyone please show me what is the right procedure to solve this system of equations?

Also, I have the impression this Lagrangian corresponds to a charge q interacting with an electromagnetic field. It would be great if anyone could explain me a little bit further about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Should both equations have a negative sign in the left side?

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3
    Sorry, my bad, I missed a minus sign in the second equation, then the system becomes:

mx'' - qy' = 0
    my'' + qx' = 0

Following the same process I mentioned before, equation for y becomes:

y'' + y(q^2)/(m^2) = C

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure of your math background. If you've had a course in differential equations, then you know that the general solution to this type of equation is y = yh + yp where yh is the general solution of the homogeneous equation y'' + (q/m)2y = 0 and yp is any particular solution of y'' + (q/m)2y = C.

6. Mar 29, 2013 #5
    I'm sorry if this becomes too obvious. I've taken Dif. Equations, but my math background is a bit blurry at the moment, because I've just re-taken classes. Once I recall the methods things go easier.

I can see that the solution for the homogeneus equation is indeed an oscillatory motion, both for x and y. I'm having trouble about what to do with the particular solution since I don't have any initial condition.

Would you say that the method I applied to solve the problem is correct?

Thanks for your help.

7. Mar 29, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, your method is a correct way to do it. You've found the general solution to y'' + (q/m)2y = 0. Now you just need any particular solution to y'' + (q/m)2y = C. You should be able to this by inspection. You do not need initial conditions here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted