Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient (Exhaust Gas to Refrigerant)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
TheBigBiscuit
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

I am doing a project modelling and simulating a gas engine waste heat recovery system using an organic rankine cycle.
As part of this project I would like to size the surface area of a heat exchanger (if only roughly). I have found the appropriate formula using Q = U.A.LMTD and all the variables are fine and I believe I am calculating correctly but I'm assuming an overall heat transfer coefficient ("U") of ~400 W/m^2.K. I have no idea if this is accurate
The two fluids exchanging heat are an exhaust gas (heat source) and various refrigerants (R134a, R245fa), I was hoping someone might be able to suggest an accurate "U" for these fluids and if possible something to reference.
I don't have a fantastic knowledge of heat exchangers by any means, do I assume the heat exchange surface to be made from metal and is it relevant whether i specify plate or shell and tube etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks advance for your time.

Ronan
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The U in heat transfer is a property of the material used to fabricate the heat exchanger and the geometry of the unit. It is not a physical property of the fluids passing thru the unit.
 
oh ok thank you, I was confused because any information I have searched for contained tables with both the hot and the cold liquid for example: gas to water and a corresponding "U" value...
Would you know how to obtain a relatively accurate value for my predicament or an educated guess perhaps?
Thanks again for your post
 
It depends on the material used to construct the heat exchanger and the physical layout of the heat exchanger itself.