Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient (Exhaust Gas to Refrigerant)

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    Hi there,

I am doing a project modelling and simulating a gas engine waste heat recovery system using an organic rankine cycle.
    As part of this project I would like to size the surface area of a heat exchanger (if only roughly). I have found the appropriate formula using Q = U.A.LMTD and all the variables are fine and I believe I am calculating correctly but I'm assuming an overall heat transfer coefficient ("U") of ~400 W/m^2.K. I have no idea if this is accurate
    The two fluids exchanging heat are an exhaust gas (heat source) and various refrigerants (R134a, R245fa), I was hoping someone might be able to suggest an accurate "U" for these fluids and if possible something to reference.
    I don't have a fantastic knowledge of heat exchangers by any means, do I assume the heat exchange surface to be made from metal and is it relevant whether i specify plate or shell and tube etc?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks advance for your time.

Ronan

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The U in heat transfer is a property of the material used to fabricate the heat exchanger and the geometry of the unit. It is not a physical property of the fluids passing thru the unit.

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    oh ok thank you, I was confused because any information I have searched for contained tables with both the hot and the cold liquid for example: gas to water and a corresponding "U" value...
    Would you know how to obtain a relatively accurate value for my predicament or an educated guess perhaps?
    Thanks again for your post

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends on the material used to construct the heat exchanger and the physical layout of the heat exchanger itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook