Overlap ratio or axial contact ratio in helical gears

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
k.udhay
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Hi,

I am trying to understand the Overlap Ratio (OR) / axial contact ratio of a helical gear pair. Unlike transverse contact ratio, I am unable to understand OR so easily.
What does it mean if the OR is exactly 1? What will happen practically when it goes less than one? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. But this book again tells the OR as a mathematical relation whereas I want to understand it physically. I assume a case where the transverse contact ratio is more than 1 already and want to know the effect when OR is less that one.
 
Do you have a pdf copy of the QTC "elements of metric gear technology"
http://www.qtcgears.com/Q420%20PDF%20Files/Tech.pdf
See sections 8.4, 11.4, 17.2.3, 17.4.3 and 21.

KHK have Gear Technology References.
http://www.khkgears.co.jp/en/gear_technology/guide_info.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: