1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: P-groups and orders of elements

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let p be a prime and let H be a group of order p^n, some n > 0. Prove that for any x not equal to 1 in H, some power of x has order p.

2. Relevant equations
    --

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that by lagrange, for any x in G, if x is not the identity, then x has an order p^r for some r>0. Also I know that there is some element of order p. But I don't know how to show that some power of every p^r = p, even though it seems almost intuitive.

Thanks very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    Suppose that x is not the identity and has order [itex]p^2[/itex]. Can you find a power of x that has order p? Now try to solve the general case where x has order [itex]p^r[/itex].

Petek

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    Sorry, I don't even know which power of x would yield order p in the case of [itex]p^2[/itex]! Is it [itex]x^2[/itex]?

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know x has order p^r for some r, then x^(p^r)=1. What's (x^(p^(r-1)))^p?

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5
    Using the example of the cyclic group of order 9, I found that (x^(p^(r-1)))^p is 1 as well. Is that correct?

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably. But I meant it more generally. In any group, how does (x^(p^(r-1)))^p compare with x^(p^r)?

8. Apr 11, 2010 #7
    (x^(p^(r-1)))^p is equal to x^(p^r)?

So, is (x^(p^(r-1))) always of order p?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. Apr 11, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, just use the rules of exponents. (x^n)^m=x^(nm).

10. Apr 11, 2010 #9
    Okay, so I have:

For any element x, |x|=p^r, x^p^r = 1 = (((x^p)^(r-1))^p) by the properties of exponents. Then x^p^(r-1) equals an element of order p.

Thank you so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook