Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pachelbel's Canon in the 21st Century

1. May 11, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2
    This is the most maligned and misabused composition of all time. I didn't follow the link - just reading the thread title makes me physically ill.

4. May 11, 2006 #3
    Blues Traveler's song Hook was set to the Pachelbel Canon

5. May 11, 2006 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If they mangled one of the most soothing classical pieces of all time, it's not a "must hear", it's a "musn't hear". At *any* cost. I'm not bothering to let the link load, I don't want it to spoil my memory of the piece.

On a related topic, I've found it difficult to find a truly good rendition of the Canon, most of them are too "staccato" for my taste. Anyone have suggestions please?

6. May 11, 2006 #5
    Tomita had a good rendition if you like sythesizer type music.

7. May 11, 2006 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

No way, I'm looking for good old traditional arrangements.

8. May 11, 2006 #7
    Ok, may be I'm not as "refined" as some of you are. I never said it was good. This is something like going through a crackpot theorist's website once in a while just to have a good laugh. If you don't like doing that either, then please accept my apologies.

9. May 11, 2006 #8
    I think that's pretty cool. Definitely doesn't sound bad. The vibratos were a bit shoddy at the beginning, but that kid is really good and I definitely wouldn't say he ruined it. Thanks for the link. I'd relate it to Joe Satriani and Tony MacAlpine in terms of how it was redone, obviously not as smooth as they'd do it though.

10. May 11, 2006 #9
    Good music piece, Unfortunately done to death

11. May 11, 2006 #10
    He does a good job of making it a rock song. It's actually not all that bad for some kid. Oh, and he is playing incredibly well, not easy what hes doing.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  12. May 11, 2006 #11
    It's quite decent. I came in thinking I'd hate it so it must be pretty good.

Man ... this song was cutting edge in the late 1600s

13. May 11, 2006 #12
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  14. May 11, 2006 #13
    I like it. :smile:

I actually bought a music CD for a friend last Christmas called Beethoven's Last Night by the group Trans Siberian Orchestra; bought a collection of Christmas songs by them as well for myself. The group takes older songs and makes them into rock.

15. May 11, 2006 #14
  16. May 12, 2006 #15
    Yeah I agree that second guy is a lot more stilited than the first one. They're both damn good at guitar, but the first one had the notes following one another more smoothly.

17. May 12, 2006 #16

Curious3141

Homework Helper

No need to apologise, I'm not "refined" either! :rofl:

I listen to Tool, A Perfect Circle and Dream Theater.

I was a complete metal head back in the day, listening to Slayer, Sepultura, Anthrax, Kreator et al. So I wouldn't call myself refined by any stretch.

I just like to keep my musical genres somewhat separate. I also love (non-operatic) classical music in its own right. But when I even see someone trying to butcher the same with rock instruments, I get a little unsettled. It's just me. :smile:

18. May 12, 2006 #17
    Really? I thought just the opposite, the second guy seems to be able to play far more smoothly.... Whatever :/

Did you listen to the entire thing? At first, he might be playing slightly worse I suppose.

EDIT: Also, the first guy plays a simpler version. I like the more complicated one from the second guy :)

EDIT2: Is it just me or is the first guys guitar slightly out of tune?

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  19. Sep 11, 2006 #18
    Neutrino: the fusion of the intemporal beauty and simplicity of the PAchelbel Canon with the vitality and energy of the speed metal is (what can I say??) superb, excellent, really moving.

I am not a teenager, and I play more or less the George Winston version in piano. So you could think I would scorn this metalic version but I have to say that it is really enliving, fantastic!!!

20. Sep 11, 2006 #19
    Oh, and by the way, the guy who plays on the link I posted is the original. He has some other amazing stuff as well.

21. Sep 11, 2006 #20

Mk

Says he didn't have any other videos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?