Turning a sphere inside out (video)

• Thread starter awvvu
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Some of you guys have probably seen this before, but I thought this was really interesting:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6626464599825291409 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

HORRIBLE voice acting, but really cool stuff nonetheless.

This is for you smart math number theory working at NSA people.

That's pretty amazing. I wonder if it would be possible to work out how to do it for n dimensions 3=>. Those crazy pure maths cats. :smile:

I wonder if you could reduce the time by using extra dimensions. I wonder if you could prove that you can?

Last edited:
This is for you smart math number theory working at NSA people.
what does this have to do with number theory :confused:

Dont people who do number theory crack codes at the NSA?

That's topology on steroids.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Hmph. It is utterly incomprehensible with the audio off.

I was expressing myself so much that things got worse somewhere along the microphone plugin

I seriously don't know what was-is going on

Believe it or not a sphere eversion video (the optiverse i think it was called) was actually one of the reasons I became interested in math in the first place.

I wonder what kind of real-world applications sphere-eversion has...

This would make a good action movie. The music is fitting. :rofl: All it needs is maybe an antagonist (any ideas?) and some romance between the narrators and its good to go.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i was enjoying it, although getting impatient with the pacing, until the narrator said the euler characteristic of a sphere equals 1, instead of the correct number, 2.

but i was learning something.

or maybe they were using a modification of the euler number, involving the coloring of the domes and bowls, to make it come out 1.

Well, is the 'sphere' part of this very useful in the real world as it has so many real world applications?--:confused:--

Now, I can see why those being more pure mathematicians invented string theory and MWI, and have promoted it;-- and, why it hasn't been worked on experimentally in the labs.

:rolleyes: (nice cgi animations, though, for the 'explanation')

I was just watching that the other day. It's a little slow at times, but not too bad overall.

i was enjoying it, although getting impatient with the pacing, until the narrator said the euler characteristic of a sphere equals 1, instead of the correct number, 2.
That wasn't the Euler number, was it?

daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Wow. Seeing it the first time is mind boggling. What makes it even more amazing is the fact that this was first worked out on paper.
Does anybody know if there's a formal way of "ruffling" the surface of the sphere? Are there any simpler ways of doing it?

I wonder what kind of real-world applications sphere-eversion has...
::Sarcasm Alert::

Believe it or not leading string theorists believe our universe is a giant sphere and at the nodes of intersection between two parts of the sphere are black holes.

::/End Sarcasm::

:rolleyes:
Does it need an application?

That was so cool to watch. This was actually my first time of ever hearing about it, let alone watching it. I enjoyed it though, and learned some too :)

Heres my favorite version,
The Narrator doesn't talk to you like your watching Barney concurrently either.:biggrin:

So is the type of thing like Geometric Topology/Algebraic Geometry? I really want to learn more about it from a math standpoint. This is the video that got me interested in maths in the first place back when I was in Geometry in High School.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, that's really cool

I like the video that Rocket put up better :smile: It has a bunch more pretty colors, too :biggrin: