Pachelbel's Canon in the 21st Century

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the two guitarists playing this song are both good, but the first one does a better job of playing smoothly.
Castilla said:
It seems that its original tune was in “Do mayor”

Well as no one has picked this up I believe I will :biggrin:

'Do mayor' is the equivalent to 'C major' (but the cannon was originally in D major).

Here are the other key relationships (Spanish to English):
'La' is equivalent to 'A'
'Si' is equivalent to 'B'
'Do' is equivalent to 'C'
'Re' is equivalent to 'D'
'Mi' is equivalent to 'E'
'Fa' is equivalent to 'F'
'Sol' is equivalent to 'G'

The Bob (2006 ©)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Bob.

In George Winston’s piano version, the tune is in C major. In six pages of sheet music you touch a black keyboard only once.

It seems to me that a minor tune can’t achieve the popularity of a major one. I doubt, for example, that the Beethoven’s moonlight sonata (mentioned by Neutrino) will be translated in rythms akin to the youngers. It is too sad.

Regarding the canon, I love both the George Winston and the Jerry C versions (Jerry C is the taiwanase young man that has made the speed metal arrangements). But if your mood fails easily on melancholy, without doubt I recommend you the speed metal version. I am sure it will enlive and strength you (it is the good word?).

Last edited:
More or less what I think:

(From an Oregon daily)
"I know. We're all sick to death of the Canon, except for those weepy brides who insist on walking down the aisle to its solemn beat. But this kid utterly transforms the piece. You won't believe how good he is.

A typical reaction from a viewer:

"I've been in the music biz for over 30 years..this is one othe best demos i have ever seen/heard..period."
- David Stabler"