Pachelbel's Canon in the 21st Century

  • Thread starter Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 8K views
DaveC426913 said:
Argh! For years, I've been trying to tell anyone who would listen! I want to start a group that does the classics using modern instruments and techniques!

I've been trying to get my friend to do a metal version of Beethoven's Ninth.

And yes, I loved Siberian Orchestra.
w00t TSO! :!) :biggrin: :cool:

After I learn how to play guitar I know I am going to do that. Although a band would be better than one person.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In the best songs thread I posted the link to the guy who arranged this piece and who the person in the original post was immitating.

http://jerryc.tw/

The guy is excellent and he has a few vids on there and a few original compositions. I particularly like his rock on many techniques displayed there.
 
Last edited:
neutrino said:
This is a must hear! :biggrin:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=551670992127427964


Its very good, he has a lot of talent...

The most classical I ever get is derek May Strings of Life anyway :-p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing a while back when he (jerryC) posted the canon rock video on a guitar forum he went to and people went nuts. The place he hosted it had to take it down because the bandwidth usage went through the roof. his career really took off from that one video and I must say I really do like the guys stuff a lot.
 
Castilla said:
It seems that its original tune was in “Do mayor”

Well as no one has picked this up I believe I will :biggrin:

'Do mayor' is the equivalent to 'C major' (but the cannon was originally in D major).

Here are the other key relationships (Spanish to English):
'La' is equivalent to 'A'
'Si' is equivalent to 'B'
'Do' is equivalent to 'C'
'Re' is equivalent to 'D'
'Mi' is equivalent to 'E'
'Fa' is equivalent to 'F'
'Sol' is equivalent to 'G'

The Bob (2006 ©)
 
Thanks, Bob.

In George Winston’s piano version, the tune is in C major. In six pages of sheet music you touch a black keyboard only once.

It seems to me that a minor tune can’t achieve the popularity of a major one. I doubt, for example, that the Beethoven’s moonlight sonata (mentioned by Neutrino) will be translated in rythms akin to the youngers. It is too sad.

Regarding the canon, I love both the George Winston and the Jerry C versions (Jerry C is the taiwanase young man that has made the speed metal arrangements). But if your mood fails easily on melancholy, without doubt I recommend you the speed metal version. I am sure it will enlive and strength you (it is the good word?).
 
Last edited:
More or less what I think:

(From an Oregon daily)
"I know. We're all sick to death of the Canon, except for those weepy brides who insist on walking down the aisle to its solemn beat. But this kid utterly transforms the piece. You won't believe how good he is.

A typical reaction from a viewer:

"I've been in the music biz for over 30 years..this is one othe best demos i have ever seen/heard..period."
- David Stabler"