Painter on a crate - Acceleration

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about solving a physics problem involving a car accelerating and a man in a lift. The conversation includes suggestions for solving the problem and correcting mistakes in previous attempts. The conversation also includes a discussion about drawing a side view of the car and analyzing the forces and torques involved. The final message provides a resource for understanding the physics behind a front-wheel drive muscle car.
Shreya
Homework Statement
Please Refer the Image below
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Here's my attempt to solve part b. I am not sure how to approach part a.
Please be kind to help me.
The answer of part be must be 2m/s² but I get a different answer.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220416-091325_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220416-091325_Drive.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220416_091351.jpg
    20220416_091351.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 52
  • SmartSelect_20220416-092312_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220416-092312_Drive.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried a FBD and summation of forces and moments for part a?

Likes Shreya
Lnewqban said:
Have you tried a FBD and summation of forces and moments for part a?
I am not sure how to start on that. Could you please give me an example?

Shreya said:
Draw a side view of the car showing a front wheel and a rear wheel.
Show the vertical and horizontal forces the ground exerts on the wheels, assigning variable names to them, bearing mind that the car is accelerating.
What force and torque balance equations can you write?

Likes Lnewqban and Shreya
Shreya said:
Your FBD is not right. You are forgetting forces and the signs don't look right. And there are no units. If you plug the numbers in you must also use the correct units.

I suggest you take up to be positive and write down the force equations for the man and the lift. Try to get those correct first.

Use Latex if you can:
$$Ma = \dots$$$$ma = \dots$$

Likes Shreya
PeroK said:
Your FBD is not right. You are forgetting forces and the signs don't look right. And there are no units. If you plug the numbers in you must also use the correct units.

I suggest you take up to be positive and write down the force equations for the man and the lift. Try to get those correct first.

Use Latex if you can:
$$Ma = \dots$$$$ma = \dots$$
Post #3 was in respect of part a, the question about an accelerating car.
The attempt attached in post #1 was for part b. The OP seems to have taken the acceleration as positive down. All your points are valid but the answer obtained looks ok.

Likes Shreya
haruspex said:
Post #3 was in respect of part a, the question about an accelerating car.
The attempt attached in post #1 was for part b. The OP seems to have taken the acceleration as positive down. All your points are valid but the answer obtained looks ok.
The force equation for the lift omits the weight of the lift itself. The answer should be ##0.2g##, which is what I get and is the answer quoted by the OP.

Likes Shreya
PeroK said:
The force equation for the lift omits the weight of the lift itself. The answer should be ##0.2g##, which is what I get and is the answer quoted by the OP.
Ahem... yes, I missed that.

Likes Shreya
PeroK said:
force equation for the lift omits the weight of the lift itself
I am so sorry, I have included it in the new solution.
Thanks a lot for your help! ☺

For the Crate:
$$T - 450N - 250N = 25a$$
For the Painter:
$$T+450N - 1000N = 100a$$
On solving I get, ##a =2m/s²##
##T = 75kgf##
I tried latex for the first time! It works!

Likes Lnewqban and PeroK
haruspex said:
Draw a side view of the car showing a front wheel and a rear wheel
I tried it. Here's what I found. Correct me if I am wrong.
The force due to the ground on the wheels cause the acceleration.
They also cause a torque on the car making it rise up, like '/'
Initially the reaction forces due to the 4 wheels balanced the force of gravity. Now the back wheels have to bear the entire load.
The torque due to the reaction force - brings the car back down

Shreya said:
I tried it. Here's what I found. Correct me if I am wrong.
The force due to the ground on the wheels cause the acceleration.
They also cause a torque on the car making it rise up, like '/'
Initially the reaction forces due to the 4 wheels balanced the force of gravity. Now the back wheels have to bear the entire load.
The torque due to the reaction force - brings the car back down
Yes, the difference in the normal forces creates a torque, balancing the torque from the frictional forces.

• Informative
Likes Shreya

1. How does the acceleration of the crate affect the painter's movement?

The acceleration of the crate will affect the painter's movement by causing them to experience a force in the direction of the acceleration. This force will either speed up or slow down the painter's movement, depending on the direction of the acceleration.

2. What is the relationship between the crate's acceleration and the force applied to it?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it. This means that the greater the force applied to the crate, the greater its acceleration will be.

3. Can the painter's weight affect the acceleration of the crate?

Yes, the painter's weight can affect the acceleration of the crate. The painter's weight is a force that is applied to the crate, and according to Newton's second law of motion, this force will contribute to the crate's acceleration.

4. How does the surface friction between the crate and the ground impact its acceleration?

The surface friction between the crate and the ground can either increase or decrease the crate's acceleration. If there is a lot of friction, it will act in the opposite direction of the crate's movement and slow it down. If there is little friction, the crate will experience less resistance and accelerate more quickly.

5. Is the acceleration of the crate constant or does it change over time?

The acceleration of the crate can be either constant or changing over time, depending on the forces acting on it. If the net force on the crate is constant, then its acceleration will also be constant. However, if the force changes, the acceleration will also change accordingly.