Palin is probably the nation's leading energy expert - McCain

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, Senator McCain said Governor Palin knows more about energy than anyone else in the United States of America.
Cyrus said:
Just finished watching MTP. Must say, its up there with Charlie Rose. Very good episode.

MTP has been the gold standard in political review for as long as I can remember. It has been on for over sixty years.

Check out the list of former guests. On the main page in the left column, go to Browse, "Meet The Press", and then the slide show that looks back at the history of the show.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is a big inclusive word. What does Palin know about wind, tidal generation, hydroelectric power, nuclear, solar, hydrogen technologies, battery technology, energy storage and distribution systems, etc? If helping to push through a compressed natural gas pipeline makes her an energy expert in McCain's eyes, I should be eminently qualified to be Secretary of Agriculture. I do grow most of our own fruits and vegetables, after all.

John McCain said:
She [Sarah Palin] knows more about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America.
The old guy has lost it.

mheslep said:
According to who? Yes Young and Domenici are players as legislators; Young was influential in the original Trans Alaska Pipe, Domenici co authored the 2005 Energy Policy Act. Palin has certainly been in the ground zero locations needed for experience. She was the chair of the Ak Oil and Gas Conservation Commission; was the force behind the approved Ak gas pipeline plan as Governor, which had gone nowhere for years, and now if completed will be the longest single project pipe in the world.

Are you seriously attempting to defend McCain's statement? Are you suggesting that Palin is the nations leading energy expert? Or do you admit that McCain was either lying, delusional, or demonstrating extreme ignorance?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Are you seriously attempting to defend McCain's statement? Are you suggesting that Palin is the nations leading energy expert? Or do you admit that McCain was either lying, delusional, or demonstrating extreme ignorance?

Presuming that he has figured out what honor is by now, it must be one of the latter two.

turbo-1 said:
Energy is a big inclusive word. What does Palin know about wind, tidal generation, hydroelectric power, nuclear, solar, hydrogen technologies, battery technology, energy storage and distribution systems, etc?

They claim to supply 20% of the nation's needs for energy, and yet are only .2 % of the population. They haven't the slightest idea about Energy independence so much as wanting to be a separate country so they can keep energy wealth for themselves.

mheslep said:
According to who? Yes Young and Domenici are players as legislators; Young was influential in the original Trans Alaska Pipe, Domenici co authored the 2005 Energy Policy Act. Palin has certainly been in the ground zero locations needed for experience. She was the chair of the Ak Oil and Gas Conservation Commission; was the force behind the approved Ak gas pipeline plan as Governor, which had gone nowhere for years, and now if completed will be the longest single project pipe in the world.
Palin was Chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission for 1 year.

Domenici has chaired the United States Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources for 4 years and been the ranking member on that committee for many more. Likewise, with the U.S. Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development. And he's been on the Appropriation subcommittee for Science (etc.) for who knows how many years. He has written a book on Nuclear Power and edited a second one, and has earned the epithet "Nuclear Renaissance Man" as arguably the strongest driver of Nuclear energy development in the US Congress. Heck, he is the only American to be awarded the French Nuclear Energy Society’s Grande Medaille de l'Academie des Sciences (their most prestigious recognition). He is one of the strongest supporters of the US National Labs, and has been calling for US energy independence for about a quarter of a century now. He has authored numerous bills on energy, science and technology and water management. He has been instrumental in virtually every major energy bill (including the 2005 Energy Policy Act that he crafted) in the last couple of decades. He is the second most senior Republican in the Senate.

You really think Palin can hold a candle to Domenici on Energy issues? You've got to be kidding!

LowlyPion said:
They claim to supply 20% of the nation's needs for energy, and yet are only .2 % of the population.
Palin (and McCain as well) certainly made this claim, and it's way off.
Energetically Wrong
September 12, 2008

Palin says Alaska supplies 20 percent of U.S. energy. Not true. Not even close.

Summary

Palin claims Alaska "produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy." That's not true.

Alaska did produce 14 percent of all the oil from U.S. wells last year, but that's a far cry from all the "energy" produced in the U.S.

Alaska's share of domestic energy production was 3.5 percent, according to the official figures kept by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

And if by "supply" Palin meant all the energy consumed in the U.S., and not just produced here, then Alaska's production accounted for only 2.4 percent.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/energetically_wrong.html

Now that's what we get from the nation's leading energy expert!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
He is one of the strongest supporters of the US National Labs,

To be fair, you'd have to look pretty danged hard to find a New Mexico Congressman that isn't a strong supporter of US National Labs.

Gokul43201 said:
Palin (and McCain as well) certainly made this claim, and it's way off.

Thanks for the reference. I never checked up on that, which is why I prefaced it as their/her claim. The sad thing is that even though her estimate is exaggerated by nearly a factor of 10, even at only 2.4% her state still enjoys a factor of 10 surplus over its share of the US population.

quadraphonics said:
To be fair, you'd have to look pretty danged hard to find a New Mexico Congressman that isn't a strong supporter of US National Labs.
Point taken.

The thing that is staggering to me is the lengths they will go to in order to avoid saying that Palin is inexperienced and not knowledgeable about all that much outside of Wasilla.

The attempts to inflate her abilities and experience, to deny her ethical lapses, to hide her religious ideological policy positions, looks like a Marx Brothers comedy.

While I think bringing people to the White House that would be better suited for Jerry Springer throw downs than Meet the Press would be a rich trove of bizarre entertainment opportunities, I'd say the country has a broader responsibility to the world to be a part of solutions, rather than as a contributor to its problems.

Gokul43201 said:

So she isn't even an energy expert in regards to Alaska.

So that means that she doesn't have any national security credentials...? Wait, I'm confused. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I can see Russia from my house.

Uh, where are you going with that Cyrus?

She and McCain continually make the false claims that "Obama will raise your taxes", and "I told Congress 'no thanks' to the bridge to nowhere". Now this, the Alaska energy supply "facts", perhaps even troopergate, book banning, etc.

The question is: Can these two swift-boat the truth, or is America now too sophisticated to fall for this again?

How many people actually believe these two, and how many know they are lying and just don't care?

Last edited:
binzing said:
Uh, where are you going with that Cyrus?

Want to hear a joke?

Side:
Check this out:

Side 2:
Nice new signature Ivan, :rofl:

Cyrus said:

Damon nails it. No matter who she may be, we have no way to know by election day. That alone disqualifies her.

Nice new signature Ivan, :rofl:

Personally, I think this episode alone shows that neither of them is qualifed to be President. I used to have a lot of respect for McCain, but at the least, his Palin pick, and his ludicrous defense of her show that he is far too cavalier with the nation's future to be trusted. I mean really, like Damon says, this is absurd!

This is why I am so confident that Palin is nothing to worry about; so long as the media and bloggers do their jobs. There isn't much time, but the facade is extremely thin. Really I think this whole business amounts to nothing more than a gimmick.

Isn't this just a slip of a word or words?. She uses the word energy, instead of saying oil and gas? Maybe we should just stick with her hair style, and call it a day.
Yipes .. You guys are a tough crowd. :-)

castlegates said:
Isn't this just a slip of a word or words?. She uses the word energy, instead of saying oil and gas? Maybe we should just stick with her hair style, and call it a day.

Maybe instead we should hold people accountable for what they say. :rolleyes:

Oh that's right I forgot, you don't care. So the point of you're posting was.....?

castlegates said:

You think she is the nation's leading expert on oil and gas? She didn't even know how much Alaska contributes.

I don't think anyone is being unfair. I think we have grown too accustomed to accepting absolute nonsense from political charlatons.

keep in mind that only few years ago, most people would have had no way to know anything about this; only the people in Maine [many of whom may have believed McCain], and those of us who watch Meet The Press, would know. He and Palin would be free to roam the country telling all of the lies that wish to tell. Now, through the power of the internet, they can be held accountable.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Maybe instead we should hold people accountable for what they say. :rolleyes:

Oh that's right I forgot, you don't care. So the point of you're posting was.....?
(Maybe) is good enough for me, since it came from you. So it's not a lie as one poster suggest, and just a misuse of a word. Seems more than reasonable since the 20% corresponds with the oil and gas production percentage that this site gives.
http://www.akrdc.org/issues/oilgas/overview.html
Now maybe we should get back to her hairdoooo?

And I really really don't care who wins this election. Sara Palin isn't all that bright. We can all agree here, but she is BUBBLY!, and BUBBLY! makes her a force to be reckoned with. Now I know you won't be voting for her, but I'm not referring to you in this paragraph, nor me, because I don't vote, but the average American does vote, and if I'm not mistaken, the average American likes MIZ BUBBLY more than any of the other candidates.
MAYBE enough to tip the scales to a win, what was in the bag for Obama.

You think she is the nation's leading expert on oil and gas?
Obviously she isn't.
She didn't even know how much Alaska contributes.
And you are willing to lie to yourself.
I think we have grown too accustomed to accepting absolute nonsense from political charlatons.
If we accept the system by which they are chosen, it is to be an expected norm, in fact it is demanded of them by the very nature of the process. You just happen to think it is only republicans that hold the realm of charlatan. :-)

Has Obama just not been getting much coverage lately? I thought it would be his best bet to ignore the Palin issue and just sit back and wait for the air to clear a bit before getting back to business as usual. This is looking to me like that's what has been going on. Without anything big from Obama to take back some of the spot light its just staying on Palin and giving their campaign more rope to hang themsevles with as they try to figure out how to avoid too much scrutiny.

Why do people care what Matt Damon thinks? Should we also consult Angelina and Brad?

Math Is Hard said:
Why do people care what Matt Damon thinks? Should we also consult Angelina and Brad?

Because he's dreamy :!)

And he makes good movies. You leave matt alone!

More seriously though: I care what he thinks because he's exactly right.

Math Is Hard said:

Unless he's secretly dating http://www.parishiltonmccain.com/ , I don't care what he thinks.

Hot! beats Dreamy! any day. It even beats Bubbly!

Math Is Hard said:
Why do people care what Matt Damon thinks?
Actually, it doesn't matter what Matt Damon thinks. It matters what Sarah Palin thinks, because she and McCain are asking the country to give them the responsibility of making critical decisions regarding laws of the land, governance, economic and tax policy, energy policy, national security, . . . . So far McCain and Palin have failed to provide credible reasons, and in fact quite the opposite, have attempted to deceive the populace with regard to experience.

Matt Damon is a citizen like anyone else. The difference is that he can get face time on camera to ask - what the heck is going on with McCain and his selection of Palin for VP? The media needs to be asking the hard questions, instead of reporting the McCain propaganda.

Here's a modified version of Damon's interview - Is Sarah Palin on Welfare? - by Youtube use - britethorn. He also asks some good questions.

Matt Damon has some questions he wants answered and so do I? Why does Alaska keep taking Federal Subsidies when they have enough money to give a $1,200 check to every one of its citizens?
Why is Alaska receiving Federal subsidies when they have their own revneue from oil taxes?

castlegates said:
(Maybe) is good enough for me, since it came from you. So it's not a lie as one poster suggest, and just a misuse of a word. Seems more than reasonable since the 20% corresponds with the oil and gas production percentage that this site gives.
Now maybe we should get back to her hairdoooo?
She said "produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy." That's the incorrect part.

Evo said:
She said "produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy." That's the incorrect part.

So she refers to oil and gas as energy. Whats the big deal?

castlegates said:

Here's the FactCheck analysis of that statement.
Factcheck said:
But Alaskan production accounts for only 4.8 percent of all the crude oil and petroleum products supplied to the U.S. in 2007, counting both domestic production and imports from other nations. According to EIA, the total supply was just over 5.5 billion barrels in 2007.

Furthermore, Palin said "energy," not "oil," so she was actually much further off the mark. According to EIA, Alaska actually produced 2,417.1 trillion BTUs [British Thermal Units] of energy in 2005, the last year for which full state numbers are available. That's equal to just 3.5 percent of the country's domestic energy production.

And according to EIA analyst Paul Hess, that would calculate to only "2.4 percent of the 100,368.6 trillion BTUs the U.S. consumes."

castlegates said:

Since you are apparently confused about what she did say here is the quote of her statement:
Palin_to_Gibson said:
Let me speak specifically about a credential that I do bring to this table, Charlie, and that's with the energy independence that I've been working on for these years as the governor of this state that produces nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy, ...

Maybe it's because she slept through the Oil and Gas Commission meetings? Or is it because she doesn't understand how these figures are put together? Oh but wait a minute, she is the energy expert?

Why is Alaska receiving Federal subsidies when they have their own revneue from oil taxes?
Because Alaska is a much more important state than say Ohio. It's got oil. Forget about the people for a minute, and look at it as important land.

castlegates said:
The fact that she was wrong and mislead the public and considering that she is campaining to be Vice-President of this country, it's an issue.

castlegates said:
Because Alaska is a much more important state than say Ohio. It's got oil. Forget about the people for a minute, and look at it as important land.
That's not an answer to the question posed.

Is this wrong from this site?
"•Alaska's oil and gas industry has produced more than 16 billion barrels of oil and 6 billion cubic feet of natural gas, accounting for an average of 20 percent of the entire nation's domestic production. "

castlegates said:
Is this wrong from this site?
"•Alaska's oil and gas industry has produced more than 16 billion barrels of oil and 6 billion cubic feet of natural gas, accounting for an average of 20 percent of the entire nation's domestic production. "
It's called "reading comprehension". They are referring to the domestic production of oil and gas ONLY. This has been explained to you a number of times, do you really not understand that or are you repeatedly posting this just to be annoying?