Palin is probably the nation's leading energy expert - McCain

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, Senator McCain said Governor Palin knows more about energy than anyone else in the United States of America.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MR. BROKAW: All right, we have a final question, if we can for you. In a recent interview with our affiliate in Portland, Maine, WCSH, John McCain was asked about Governor Palin and her national security credentials. Let's just share with you that exchange, if we can.

(Videotape)

Unidentified Reporter: What experience...

SEN. McCAIN: Sure.

Reporter: ...does she have in the field of national security?

SEN. McCAIN: Energy. She knows more about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America.

(End videotape)

MR. BROKAW: "More about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America." More about solar, more about wind, more about geothermal than the MIT scientists who are working on this initiative? Boone Pickens? Boone Pickens? Senator Al Gore? Do you think she knows more than any of those people do? [continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26702299/page/3/

Either McCain will say just about anything, or he is delusional. What more can be said?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ivan Seeking said:
Either McCain will say just about anything, or he is delusional. What more can be said?

Looks to me like he has sold his soul.

What more can be said?

Wait a minute ... I'll think of something.

You can watch him actually say this on the netcast of Meet The Press, from this morning.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

Palin has a BA in journalism.

If McCain said that, he is unfit to be president. I think he has lost his mind.

Palin is unfit for public office, and I hope the FBI launches a corruption investigation. Apparently there is plenty of evidence, and lots of witnesses.

Maybe Palin should drop him from the ticket.

Elections are all about timing a peak to election day. I think McCain has already peaked.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
Palin has a BA in journalism.
I think you initially correct about the BS, which does not mean baccalaureate.

Well, Alaska is under a bunch of oil... Hey look, I can see Russia from my house.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think McCain has already peaked.

May we hope so!

Somewhat lost due to shock is the fact this is cited by McCain as her national security credential.

It is also possible that he is not delusional and believes what he says. Which would mean that he is incredibly ignorant. I haven't yet ruled out this possibility. He certainly isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
Somewhat lost due to shock is the fact this is cited by McCain as her national security credential.

She has also personally shot many terrorist grizzley bears.

Maybe McCain is sabotaging the GOP ticket! Or he's just totally lost it.

I wonder how many real conservatives will leave the GOP. I've got to imagine people like Hagel are looking at this and wondering what the heck is going on.

Why can't the GOP put Hagel or someone like him up?

Astronuc said:
Maybe McCain is sabotaging the GOP ticket! Or he's just totally lost it.

More likely I think is that he is getting desperate to defend his inspired choice. It worked as a gimmick, but now it's time to pay the piper.

Cyrus said:
She has also personally shot many terrorist grizzley bears.

I don't think she shoots grizzlies. They can fight back.

I think her hunting is for moose. About as dangerous as shooting a cow.

The bear skin in her office her Dad shot.

Astronuc said:
Why can't the GOP put Hagel or someone like him up?

Apparently because the GOP has been hijacked by the Ralph Reed/Karl Rove extremists that want to use power to spread their brand of moralism, even if it means subverting the Constitution.

Drill, baby, drill!

I am waiting to see if this week changes anything.

McCain seems to be trying to keep blowing Palin's bubble bigger and bigger everyday to distract everyone from real issues. Eventually the bubble will burst. Maybe this week, or maybe the next. Maybe not until her debate with Biden, but trust me, that bubble will burst.

-Bubble analogy thanks to Chuck Todd at NBC.

LowlyPion said:
I don't think she shoots grizzlies. They can fight back.

The bear skin in her office her Dad shot.

I also don't think she shoots grizzlies. You usually don't shoot grizzlies, anyway. You shoot your friend in the kneecap. You never want to be the slowest person in the group when you're being chased by a grizzly.

Moose are a little bit http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/moose/story/367277.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
So no consideration for the third option? The reason Guiliani gave?

I feel the love in here. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling watching you guys getting antsy over the current polling situation. Very enjoyable. Not worthy of remaining an open thread in a serious forum, but entertaining, nonetheless.

Astronuc said:
I think you initially correct about the BS, which does not mean baccalaureate.

Thats for sure.

Palin Attended 4 Colleges in 5 Years to Earn Diploma
The Republican vice-presidential nominee, Sarah Palin, had a much more diverse experience in higher education than has been previously reported.

The Associated Press reported this afternoon that Ms. Palin, the first-term governor of Alaska, began her college career at Hawaii Pacific University, where she studied for one semester in the fall of 1982.

From there, she spent two semesters at North Idaho College, a two-year institution; two semesters at the flagship University of Idaho; one semester at Matanuska-Susitna College, a two-year campus of the University of Alaska at Anchorage; and her three final semesters back at the University of Idaho, where she completed her bachelor’s degree in journalism in 1987.

http://chronicle.com/news/article/5092/palin-attended-4-colleges-in-5-years-to-earn-diploma

This was also on MSNBC, so was the fact that she had her first child just eight months after she married. This in itself would be not be a big deal except that the Christian right keeps defending her. The, "she didn't have an abortion" line is only going to go so far.

As for Palin's energy expertise, McCain has either totally flipped or is like Bush and believes his own lies.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nu7Kjk_0Q

BobG said:
Moose are a little bit http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/moose/story/367277.html .

I see. So the guy was wearing camouflage because he was hiding - to keep from getting stomped to death by a moose?

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
That reason started out holding a wee bit of plausibility but ended up right square in la-la-land.
Giuliani said:
I think John was referring to elected officials. He, he would not be referring to Boone Pickens and certainly wouldn't be referring to nuclear scientists and people like that.
Palin doesn't even come anywhere near the kind of energy credentials that Republicans like Don Young and Pete Domenici have. There are at least a half dozen Republicans in Congress that know way more than Palin does about energy. And that's just Republicans.
Giulianin said:
I think he was talking about politicians and probably, in particular, the people involved in the race.
So, "anyone else in the United States of America" = three other people?

I feel the love in here. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling watching you guys getting antsy over the current polling situation. Very enjoyable. Not worthy of remaining an open thread in a serious forum, but entertaining, nonetheless.
PF is a serious forum. So, if this thread is not worthy of PF, it should be locked.

Last edited:

LowlyPion said:

Ok, for that I personally revoke your right to speak. Moose are VERY dangerous, particularly females.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26702299/page/3/

Just finished watching MTP. Must say, its up there with Charlie Rose. Very good episode.

http://chronicle.com/news/article/5092/palin-attended-4-colleges-in-5-years-to-earn-diploma

"Palin Attended 4 Colleges in 5 Years to Earn Diploma"

What exactly is the insinuation here?

It sounds like she went to school where she could, when she could, and had to work her education around a lot of disruptions. Good for her for finishing.

russ_watters said:

This is your response to McCains statement? Come on Russ, you have to admit that this must be one of the dumbest thing that a politician has ever said. In fact it goes beyond dumb and rises to such as level that one has to question his sanity.

I do feel warm and fuzzy.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:

Giuliani inferred that although McCain said “… anyone else in the United Sates” what he actually meant was “… any elected official in the United States”

Isn’t it a more simple explanation to say that McCain exaggerated?

Sort of like when he said Gov. Palin sells planes on Ebay for a a profit or how he strolls the markets of Bagdad with no body armor on or claiming that Obama wants to teach Sex-Ed to kindergartens before teaching them to read?

Math Is Hard said:

"Palin Attended 4 Colleges in 5 Years to Earn Diploma"

What exactly is the insinuation here?

It sounds like she went to school where she could, when she could, and had to work her education around a lot of disruptions. Good for her for finishing.

On the one hand, yes that is good that she saw her education through as she could. And while those schools are maybe not as prestigious as big name universities it doesn't mean that she couldn't have gotten a good education.

My curiosity about her academic record is really more directed along the lines of what grades she got in Physics.

binzing said:
Ok, for that I personally revoke your right to speak. Moose are VERY dangerous, particularly females.

The females of any species are dangerous.

But we're not talking about lions, or tigers, or bears, ... oh my.

syano said:
Isn’t it a more simple explanation to say that McCain exaggerated?

To say that Palin is an expert is an exaggeration. To say that she is the nation's foremost expert is an absurdity beyond measure.

This is more fraud than exaggeration. At the least it proves that McCain has ZERO credibility. He will tell any lie needed; no matter how absurd, and regardless of the best interest of the country.

LowlyPion said:
My curiosity about her academic record is really more directed along the lines of what grades she got in Physics.

:smile:

Gokul43201 said:
PF is a serious forum. So, if this thread is not worthy of PF, it should be locked.

Heh, McCain's statement is a great of example of the sort of sleeze politics that gave us Bush. I can think of nothing more relevant to the election than the lies told to the voters.

Of course, we could just talk about semantics and meaningless campaign promises, and ignore the real issues, like deception, and the irrational thinking exhibited by our war hero.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Palin doesn't even come anywhere near the kind of energy credentials that Republicans like Don Young and Pete Domenici have. There are at least a half dozen Republicans in Congress that know way more than Palin does about energy. ...
According to who? Yes Young and Domenici are players as legislators; Young was influential in the original Trans Alaska Pipe, Domenici co authored the 2005 Energy Policy Act. Palin has certainly been in the ground zero locations needed for experience. She was the chair of the Ak Oil and Gas Conservation Commission; was the force behind the approved Ak gas pipeline plan as Governor, which had gone nowhere for years, and now if completed will be the longest single project pipe in the world.