Paper Fires Reporter for Past as a Stripper

• News
  • Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary: Phase 2 complete.In summary, the rival newspaper, tipped off by an online blog titled Diary of an Angry Stripper, published a story about her background in March. She was soon told by an editor that she was fired for not disclosing her dancing experience on her job application, Tressler said. "There was no question on the form that covered my dancing. I answered the questions on the form honestly."
zoobyshoe
A rival newspaper, tipped off by an online blog titled "Diary of an Angry Stripper" she wrote anonymously, published a story about her background in March.

She was soon told by an editor that she was fired for not disclosing her dancing experience on her job application, Tressler said. "There was no question on the form that covered my dancing. I answered the questions on the form honestly."

"I was very upset that I was fired, because I had been told by many editors that I was doing a good job," Tressler said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/10/showbiz/texas-stripper-writer-fired/

If the paper has something against people working as strippers, it seems to me kind of stupid to fire them from the paper, because her main work option now is to go back to stripping. This kind of sends a message to anyone in the sex industry that they shouldn't even bother trying to get into something better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps their concern was publicity/reputation? In which case the action they took is still wrong, since firing her maximizes the publicity over the incident. It's as if they don't understand their own industry.

zoobyshoe said:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/10/showbiz/texas-stripper-writer-fired/

If the paper has something against people working as strippers, it seems to me kind of stupid to fire them from the paper, because her main work option now is to go back to stripping. This kind of sends a message to anyone in the sex industry that they shouldn't even bother trying to get into something better.
As she ages and her options for stripping fade, will she become more employable as a writer/reporter?

She must be pretty gutsy (good characteristic for a reporter, IMO). How many people here would take off all their clothes and dance to some cheesy music hoping to get a few bills tucked under a garter?

I believe the Naked News is still hiring. Used to love that show. Actually made me interested in current affairs. :biggrin:

My dubiosity meter goes off, hearing about a newspaper firing someone for stripping.

Wouldn't it be surprising if the newspaper
1] got lots of attention for firing someone unjustly, then
2] got lots of attention for reconsidering and rehiring them, then
3] wrote any number of follow up articles about employment standards and all manner of other such hot topics.

No newspaper would ever be so calculating about publicity, would they? :uhh:

Phase 1 complete.

While I agree she shouldn't have been fired, it figures that Allred would try to turn this into a sex discrimination case.

Indeed. Straw man.
"Most exotic dancers are female, and therefore to terminate an employee because they had previously been an exotic dancer would have an adverse impact on women, since it is a female-dominated occupation," Allred said.

I don't know why she stopped there.

"Most exotic dancers are under 30 , and therefore to terminate an employee because they had previously been an exotic dancer would have an adverse impact on under 30 people, since it is an under-30-dominated occupation."

"Most exotic dancers are unmarried , and therefore to terminate an employee because they had previously been an exotic dancer would have an adverse impact on unmarried people, since it is an unmarried-dominated occupation."

"Most exotic dancers are brown-eyed , and therefore to terminate an employee because they had previously been an exotic dancer would have an adverse impact on brown-eyed people, since it is a brown-eye-dominated occupation."

Would a man have been fired under similar circumstances?

Ivan Seeking said:
Would a man have been fired under similar circumstances?
A past co-worker had worked as a stripper for female parties. He was no great shakes, IMO, but then I'm not a girl. Still, I would not have discriminated against him, if I had been in a management position. I would not have discriminated against a female either.

I have an old friend who is a serial home-wrecker. She and I are on cordial terms. I'd rather have a friend who had been a stripper, I think. Cute and promiscuous = dangerous and I'd rather have a friend who could separate work and personal activities vs someone that would cruise like a shark.

What is the story behind "Paper Fires Reporter for Past as a Stripper"?

The story revolves around a reporter who was fired from her job at a newspaper due to her past work as a stripper. The newspaper found out about her previous job through a background check and deemed it inappropriate for her to continue working for them.

Why was the reporter fired?

The reporter was fired because the newspaper deemed her past work as a stripper to be inappropriate for her current role as a journalist. They believed it could damage the reputation of the newspaper and affect their credibility.

Was the newspaper justified in firing the reporter?

This is a controversial topic and opinions may vary. Some may argue that the newspaper has the right to make decisions that align with their values and brand image. Others may argue that the reporter's past job should not affect her current work and that she should not have been fired for it.

What are the implications of this story for the journalism industry?

This story brings up important discussions about the role of personal history in the journalism industry. It raises questions about freedom of expression and the boundaries between personal and professional life for journalists.

How can similar situations be prevented in the future?

To prevent similar situations, it is important for companies to have clear policies and guidelines regarding employee conduct and background checks. It is also important for individuals to be transparent about their past work experiences and for employers to have an open and non-judgmental approach when addressing these issues.