Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper Fires Reporter for Past as a Stripper

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/10/showbiz/texas-stripper-writer-fired/

If the paper has something against people working as strippers, it seems to me kind of stupid to fire them from the paper, because her main work option now is to go back to stripping. This kind of sends a message to anyone in the sex industry that they shouldn't even bother trying to get into something better.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps their concern was publicity/reputation? In which case the action they took is still wrong, since firing her maximizes the publicity over the incident. It's as if they don't understand their own industry.

4. May 11, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

As she ages and her options for stripping fade, will she become more employable as a writer/reporter?

She must be pretty gutsy (good characteristic for a reporter, IMO). How many people here would take off all their clothes and dance to some cheesy music hoping to get a few bills tucked under a garter?

5. May 11, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I believe the Naked News is still hiring. Used to love that show. Actually made me interested in current affairs. :biggrin:

6. May 11, 2012 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My dubiosity meter goes off, hearing about a newspaper firing someone for stripping.

Wouldn't it be surprising if the newspaper
    1] got lots of attention for firing someone unjustly, then
    2] got lots of attention for reconsidering and rehiring them, then
    3] wrote any number of follow up articles about employment standards and all manner of other such hot topics.

No newspaper would ever be so calculating about publicity, would they? :uhh:

Phase 1 complete.

7. May 11, 2012 #6
    While I agree she shouldn't have been fired, it figures that Allred would try to turn this into a sex discrimination case.

8. May 11, 2012 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Indeed. Straw man.
    I don't know why she stopped there.

"Most exotic dancers are under 30 , and therefore to terminate an employee because they had previously been an exotic dancer would have an adverse impact on under 30 people, since it is an under-30-dominated occupation."

"Most exotic dancers are unmarried , and therefore to terminate an employee because they had previously been an exotic dancer would have an adverse impact on unmarried people, since it is an unmarried-dominated occupation."

"Most exotic dancers are brown-eyed , and therefore to terminate an employee because they had previously been an exotic dancer would have an adverse impact on brown-eyed people, since it is a brown-eye-dominated occupation."

9. May 12, 2012 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would a man have been fired under similar circumstances?

10. May 12, 2012 #9

turbo

Gold Member

A past co-worker had worked as a stripper for female parties. He was no great shakes, IMO, but then I'm not a girl. Still, I would not have discriminated against him, if I had been in a management position. I would not have discriminated against a female either.

I have an old friend who is a serial home-wrecker. She and I are on cordial terms. I'd rather have a friend who had been a stripper, I think. Cute and promiscuous = dangerous and I'd rather have a friend who could separate work and personal activities vs someone that would cruise like a shark.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook