Paperairplanes and Physics behind it?

• Thread starter airplanekids
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is asking for an explanation on how physics plays a role in making and flying paper airplanes. They are interested in this topic for personal knowledge and have researched some information but found it complicated. They already understand how thrust and wings of real airplanes work but have difficulty finding information on paper airplanes, besides how to fold them. They have found some helpful websites that will assist in their contest/argument.
airplanekids
Can anyone explain to me how physics is involved in making and flying paperairplanes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

Why are you interested, is this a school project of yours? What factors do you think you should consider? Have you researched anything already?

it is for a personal knowlege, my friends and i have fun making paper airplane and i challenged one of the to a contest to make better airplane but it made me ask what makes paper airplanes work so well.
alot of the stuff i found is too complicated for me to understand.
i already know how thrust and wings of real air plane work, but i find information on paper airplanes dificult to find, besides on how to fold them.

http://paperplane.org/Aerodynamics/paero.htm"
http://paperplane.org/"

Hope that is helpful :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!

These sights are really awsome! this will really help in our contest/argument ;P thank you

1. How does the shape of a paper airplane affect its flight?

The shape of a paper airplane greatly affects its flight. For example, a paper airplane with a long and narrow body will have less drag and can travel further, while a paper airplane with a wider body will have more drag and shorter flight distance.

2. What role does gravity play in the flight of a paper airplane?

Gravity is the force that pulls the paper airplane towards the ground. The weight of the paper airplane, along with the force of gravity, determines how fast the airplane will fall. This force must be taken into consideration when designing a paper airplane for optimal flight.

3. How does air resistance affect the flight of a paper airplane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that acts against the motion of the paper airplane. This force can slow down the paper airplane and affect its flight path. An aerodynamic design can help minimize air resistance and improve the flight of a paper airplane.

4. How can the center of gravity affect the stability of a paper airplane?

The center of gravity is the point where the weight of the paper airplane is evenly distributed. If the center of gravity is too far forward or backward, the paper airplane may become unstable and not fly correctly. It is important to balance the weight distribution when creating a paper airplane for optimal flight.

5. How can the principles of physics be applied to improve the flight of a paper airplane?

The principles of physics, such as aerodynamics, gravity, and air resistance, can be applied to improve the flight of a paper airplane. By understanding these principles, one can design a paper airplane with the right weight distribution, shape, and aerodynamic features for better flight performance.