Parabolic Motion of a projectile

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find an equation that will connect an object thrown in a parabolic motion to its maximum height and displacement covered. The user has searched for equations on Google and other websites, but is unsure of the correct equation to use. They are looking to calculate the initial velocity based on user inputted values for maximum height and distance covered.
wraithseeker
Homework Statement

I'm trying to find a equation that will connect a object that is thrown to form a parabolic motion of a projectile. What I want to be able to sub it in is maxheight and displacement covered by the projectile

Homework Equations

I don't really know, maybe vi = vf + a*t?

The Attempt at a Solution

Went to google equations of it and some other sites, I won't list them all here because I searched almost all the sites.

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Vectors/ProjectilesMotion.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to be able to say simply it's maximum height and its distance covered and find out its initial velocity and direction? Or the other way around?

The maximum height and distance user inputted. Find initial velocity. Direction is calculated already.

Do you mean using R={v_i^2\sin2\theta_i\over g} and h={v_i^2\sin^2\theta_i\over 2g} to get v_i ?

What is parabolic motion?

Parabolic motion is the curved path that a projectile follows when it is thrown near the Earth's surface. It is a combination of a horizontal motion (constant velocity) and a vertical motion (free fall).

What factors affect the parabolic motion of a projectile?

The factors that affect the parabolic motion of a projectile include the initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, the force of gravity, and air resistance. These factors determine the shape and distance of the parabolic path.

How is the angle of launch related to the distance and height of the projectile?

The angle of launch affects both the distance and height of the projectile. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a greater distance traveled, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a lower height reached.

What is the maximum height and distance a projectile can reach in parabolic motion?

The maximum height and distance a projectile can reach depend on the initial velocity and angle of launch. The maximum height is achieved when the projectile is launched straight up, and the maximum distance is achieved when the projectile is launched at a 45-degree angle.

How is the parabolic motion of a projectile affected by air resistance?

Air resistance can affect the parabolic motion of a projectile by slowing it down and reducing its range. This is because air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of the projectile, causing it to lose velocity and fall to the ground sooner.