Parabolic path at constant speed

In summary, This conversation discusses a problem where an object follows a parabolic path at constant speed. The math involved is explored, including velocity vector and speed calculations. The issue of determining acceleration is also discussed, with the suggestion to use the chain rule for numerical evaluation. The conversation ends with a confirmation of the accuracy of the calculations and a side note on the radius of curvature for a general function.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
parabolic path at constant speed? (having issues)

I found a brief mention of this problem at a few web sites. An object follows a parabolic path at constant speed. I'm having some issues with the math involved:

Assume the path is defined by y = 1/2 x2, and that the constant speed is c.

velocity vector can be defined in terms of x:

vx = dx/dt = c / sqrt(x2 + 1)
vy = dy/dt = c x / sqrt(x2 + 1)

speed = sqrt(vx2 + vy2)
... = sqrt( c2/(x2 + 1) + (c x)2/(x2 + 1) )
... = sqrt( c2 (1+x2)/(x2 + 1) )
... = sqrt( c2 )
... = c

so that checks.

Since y = 1/2 x2, dy = x dx, dy/dt = x dx/dt = c x / sqrt(x2 + 1) which matches vy as defined above.

time can be defined as a function of x:

dx/dt = c / sqrt(x2 + 1)

sqrt(x2 + 1) dx = c dt

(1/2)(x sqrt(x2+1) + ln(x + sqrt(x2+1)) = c t + C

assuming t=0 when x=0, the integration constant will be zero

(1/2)(x sqrt(x2+1) + ln(x + sqrt(x2+1)) = c t
t = ( x sqrt(x2+1) + ln(x + sqrt(x2+1)) ) / (2 c)

I then plugged this info into a spreadsheet, using a range of x values as input. I confirmed that speed was c and that the slope vy/vx = x as expected (since dy = x dx).

The issue I ran into was trying to determine acceleration. Using a crude numerical method (ax = Δvx / Δt, ay = Δvy / Δt) resulted in calculating acceleration that wasn't perpendicular to velocity, but that conflicts with the fact that the speed is constant. I'm not sure how to take the second derivative for dx/dt and dy/dt when they are funcions of x and not t. I can substitute x = sqrt(2 y) for dy/dt:

dx/dt = c / sqrt(x2 + 1)

dy/dt = c x / sqrt(x2 + 1) = c sqrt(2 y) / (sqrt(2 y + 1), for positive x
dy/dt = -c sqrt(2 y) / (sqrt(2 y + 1), for negative x

but I'm not sure how to take derivates to get accelerations for ax and ay.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

rcgldr said:
The issue I ran into was trying to determine acceleration. Using a crude numerical method (ax = Δvx / Δt, ay = Δvy / Δt) resulted in calculating acceleration that wasn't perpendicular to velocity, but that conflicts with the fact that the speed is constant. I'm not sure how to take the second derivative for dx/dt and dy/dt when they are funcions of x and not t. I can substitute x = sqrt(2 y) for dy/dt:

dx/dt = c / sqrt(x2 + 1)

dy/dt = c x / sqrt(x2 + 1) = c sqrt(2 y) / (sqrt(2 y + 1), for positive x
dy/dt = -c sqrt(2 y) / (sqrt(2 y + 1), for negative x

but I'm not sure how to take derivates to get accelerations for ax and ay.
Interesting problem. My initial thoughts are to use the chain rule to get dvx/dt:

[tex]\begin{align}
a_x = \frac{dv_x}{dt} \\
= \frac{dv_x}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} \\
= v_x \frac{dv_x}{dx}
\end{align}[/tex]

Similarly, [itex]a_y = v_x \frac{dv_y}{dx}[/itex]

Hopefully that helps.

Redbelly98 said:
Interesting problem. My initial thoughts are to use the chain rule to get dvx/dt:
The orignial problem was due to my crude numerical derivative method. If acceleration is perpendicular to velocity, then inverting the slope for acceleration should match the slope for velocity: -ax/ay == vy/vx. My original estimated acceleration was based on

ai = (vi - vi-1) / (ti - ti-1).

but -ax/ay was low by a near constant value, ~(t1 - t0). I changed this to

ai = (vi+1 - vi-1) / (ti+1 - ti-1)

which solved the original problem.

Using the chain rule as suggested provided the actual solution:

ax = -c2 x / (x2+1)2
ay = c2 / (2y+1)2
ay = c2 / (x2+1)2

As expected, acceleration is perpendicular to velocity, -ax/ay = vy/vx = x.

Last edited:

Glad it worked out.
rcgldr said:
My original estimated acceleration was based on

ai = (vi - vi-1) / (ti - ti-1).

but -ax/ay was low by a near constant value, ~(t1 - t0). I changed this to

ai = (vi+1 - vi-1) / (ti+1 - ti-1)

which solved the original problem.
Yes. If you must evaluate a derivative numerically, your second method is just as simple and a much, much more accurate way than the first one.

I had actually tried chain method before, just messed up on the math and didn't follow up on checking for my mistake when comparing the chain method to my estimated accelerations on the spread sheet. Seeing you thought that chain method should also work, I did it again, this time paying more attention and getting the correct answer as posted above.

On a side note, I forgot to include radius of curvature for a general function {x, y(x)}:

radius(x) = (1 + (y'(x))2)3/2 / | y''(x) |

in this case, y = 1/2 x2, y' = x, y'' = 1, so

radius(x) = (1 + x2)3/2 / |1|

I could have used this to confirm the magnitude of acceleration, a = v2 / r, in this case:

a = c2 / (x2+1)3/2

checking

ax = -c2 x / (x2+1)2
ay = c2 / (x2+1)2

a = ( ax2 + ay2 )1/2
a = ( (-c2 x / (x2+1)2)2 + (c2 / (x2+1)2) )1/2
a = ( c4 (x2+1) / (x2+1)4) )1/2
a = ( c4 / (x2+1)3) )1/2
a = c2 / (x2+1)3/2

What is a parabolic path at constant speed?

A parabolic path at constant speed is a type of motion where an object moves along a curved path (parabola) while maintaining a constant speed. This type of motion is often seen in projectile motion, where an object is launched at an angle and follows a parabolic path due to the combination of its initial velocity and the force of gravity.

What factors affect the shape of a parabolic path at constant speed?

The shape of a parabolic path at constant speed is primarily affected by the initial velocity and the force of gravity acting on the object. Other factors that may influence the shape of the path include air resistance, wind, and any external forces acting on the object.

How is the speed of an object on a parabolic path calculated?

The speed of an object on a parabolic path can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object at a given point on the path. This formula assumes that the object is moving horizontally with a constant speed and experiencing a constant acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the shape of a parabolic path?

The angle of launch has a direct impact on the shape of a parabolic path at constant speed. Objects launched at a smaller angle will have a narrower and taller parabolic path, while objects launched at a larger angle will have a wider and flatter parabolic path. This is because the angle of launch affects the initial velocity and direction of the object, which in turn influences the shape of the path.

Can a parabolic path at constant speed ever become a straight line?

No, a parabolic path at constant speed cannot become a straight line. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object will always cause it to follow a curved path. However, in some cases, the curvature of the parabolic path may become so small that it appears to be a straight line, but it is still technically a curved path.