Parabolic pde with additional term

• Thread starter idraftscience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde Term
In summary: Similarly you can find \|T\|^2 = \int_0^\infty X(x)^2\,dx, but again you can't find this analytically. You can find the eigenvalues in terms of k, L and \lambda; since you can't find \lambda this isn't useful. You can find the coefficients in a Fourier series expansion of the initial data in terms of the eigenfunctions, but you can't find these analytically. You can find the coefficients in a Fourier series expansion of the initial data in terms of the eigenfunctions, but you can't find these analytically.In summary, the equation \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = k\frac{\partial^2
idraftscience

Homework Statement

Solve
[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = k\frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} - v
[/itex]

[itex] 0\leq x \leq L [/itex]

[itex] t > 0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] v(x,0) = f(x), v(0,t)=0, \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}(L,t) = -v(L,t) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already attempted to solve this using separation of variables, but I'm not sure if that is a valid approach as the equation is not homogeneous (?) due to the v(x,0) = f(x) term. I've also attempted using green's theorem but I keep getting stuck, though this may be due to a math error. Can anyone give me any insight as to where I may be going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can separate the variables, it will produce a valid solution. The question is whether all solutions can be achieved that way. The critical issue is whether a linear sum of two solutions produces a solution. If so, arbitrary solutions can be represented as an infinite sum of solutions obtained by separation of variables.
Does this equation have that property?

idraftscience said:

Homework Statement

Solve
[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = k\frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} - v
[/itex]

[itex] 0\leq x \leq L [/itex]

[itex] t > 0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] v(x,0) = f(x), v(0,t)=0, \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}(L,t) = -v(L,t) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already attempted to solve this using separation of variables, but I'm not sure if that is a valid approach as the equation is not homogeneous (?) due to the v(x,0) = f(x) term. I've also attempted using green's theorem but I keep getting stuck, though this may be due to a math error. Can anyone give me any insight as to where I may be going wrong?

The equation is homogeneous and linear, so separation of variables should work. (Not being homogeneous is in any case not fatal to separation of variables, you just have to use a "particular integral plus complementary functions" approach; not being linear is fatal.)

The eigenfunctions are [tex]
v(x,t) = T(t)X(x) = T(t)\sin(\lambda x)
[/tex] where the possible values of [itex]\lambda[/itex] are determined by the condition that [tex]
X(L) + X'(L) = 0,
[/tex] and since you're given arbitrary initial data the fact that you can't find [itex]\lambda[/itex] analytically is not important. Sturm-Liouville theory tells you that the resulting eigenfunctions will be orthogonal with respect to the inner product [tex]
\int_0^L f(x)g(x)\,dx[/tex] as usual. You can find [itex]\|X\|^2 = \int_0^L X(x)^2\,dx[/itex] in terms of [itex]L[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex], but obviously if you can't find [itex]\lambda[/itex] analytically you can't find [itex]\|X\|^2[/itex] analytically.

1. What is a parabolic PDE with an additional term?

A parabolic partial differential equation (PDE) is a type of mathematical equation that describes a physical system with a time variable and two or more spatial variables. An additional term in a parabolic PDE refers to an extra term that is added to the equation, typically to account for other factors that may affect the system.

2. How is a parabolic PDE with an additional term different from a regular parabolic PDE?

A regular parabolic PDE only includes terms that describe the time and spatial variables, while a parabolic PDE with an additional term includes an extra term that represents an additional factor affecting the system. This additional term can make the equation more complex and may require different methods of solving.

3. What kind of systems can be described by a parabolic PDE with an additional term?

Parabolic PDEs with additional terms are commonly used to describe physical systems that involve diffusion, heat transfer, or other types of transport phenomena. They are also used in many other areas of science and engineering, such as finance, biology, and climate modeling.

4. How do you solve a parabolic PDE with an additional term?

Solving a parabolic PDE with an additional term can be more challenging than solving a regular parabolic PDE. In some cases, analytical solutions can be found, but in most cases, numerical methods must be used. These methods involve discretizing the equation and solving it iteratively using a computer.

5. What are some examples of parabolic PDEs with additional terms?

One example of a parabolic PDE with an additional term is the heat equation with a heat source term, which is used to describe the flow of heat in a medium with a heat source present. Another example is the diffusion equation with a reaction term, which describes the diffusion of a substance with a chemical reaction occurring. Many other examples can be found in various fields of science and engineering.