1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parabolic trajectory of a rocket

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    Why is the trajectory of a rocket always parabolic if a rocket launches straight up in the air perpendicular to the ground? Doesn't a rocket just drop straight down back to the launch pad? I think the rocket lands away from the launch pad depending on the speed of the rocket.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I would consider that to be a special case of a parabola or a limit condition. And it does drop straight down (ignoring the earth's rotation).

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    Russ,

What do you mean by limiting condition? So a rocket like an ICBM lands far away because of thrust vectoring?

5. Jan 7, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A limit condition is a simplified special case - like a circle is to an ellipse.

And now I see your confusion - real rockets on launch pads tend to start off straight up. Yes, these rockets are steered. They don't end up on a ballistic (parabolic) trajectory until after their engines are stopped.

6. Nov 21, 2009 #5
    If v of the rocket is high. But v < [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{R}}[/tex]
    where M is the mass of Earth
    R is the radius of Earth
    The trajectory of the rocket is a part of ellipse because g is change accordingly to h (likes the trajectory of planet). One focus of this ellipse is the center of earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?