Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parabolic trajectory of a rocket

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    Why is the trajectory of a rocket always parabolic if a rocket launches straight up in the air perpendicular to the ground? Doesn't a rocket just drop straight down back to the launch pad? I think the rocket lands away from the launch pad depending on the speed of the rocket.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I would consider that to be a special case of a parabola or a limit condition. And it does drop straight down (ignoring the earth's rotation).

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    Russ,

What do you mean by limiting condition? So a rocket like an ICBM lands far away because of thrust vectoring?

5. Jan 7, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A limit condition is a simplified special case - like a circle is to an ellipse.

And now I see your confusion - real rockets on launch pads tend to start off straight up. Yes, these rockets are steered. They don't end up on a ballistic (parabolic) trajectory until after their engines are stopped.

6. Nov 21, 2009 #5
    If v of the rocket is high. But v < [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{R}}[/tex]
    where M is the mass of Earth
    R is the radius of Earth
    The trajectory of the rocket is a part of ellipse because g is change accordingly to h (likes the trajectory of planet). One focus of this ellipse is the center of earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?