1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How do I calculate the apogee of a rocket before launch?

1. May 8, 2016 #1
    Is there any equation in order to know how high my rocket will go, before launching it? I suppose that if there is any, it will not take into account air drag and others, and there is no need for that. I just one to know an approximate, I am making a summer project with some friends and we had this question. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2016 #2
    There is not a simple equation, because the answer depends on many factors, ignoring air drag is not a reasonable assumption, and one needs to know the thrust curve also.

Do a search for

online model rocket height calculator

4. May 8, 2016 #3
    Complex equation? I wanted to present this project to a local organisation and the demonstration of the process had to be shown and we would like to have these sort of calculations done on our own...

5. May 8, 2016 #4

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but you have to know your rocket. In general, you can model the flight with a differential equation, solve that (worst case: numerically), and then find the maximal height.

6. May 9, 2016 #5
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted