Parachute deployment (non-instantaneous)

• Thread starter eku_girl83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parachute
In summary, the problem involves calculating the distance and velocity of a car with a mass of 2000 kg, drag coefficient of .3, and frontal area of 1 square meter after 10 seconds of releasing a parachute with an area of Pi square meters (diameter of 2 meters) and an initial velocity of 100 m/s. The assumption is made that the area of the parachute increases linearly with time and the coefficient of drag remains constant. The model for non-instantaneous deployment involves assuming a time interval of 3-5 seconds for deployment and using the vehicle's initial area for drag calculations. The deployment time can be affected by factors such as the slider on the parachute.
eku_girl83
Here's the problem...

A car of mass 2000 kg, drag coefficient .3, frontal area 1 sq. meter releases parachute of area Pi sq. meters (diameter 2 m). The inital velocity of the car is 100 m/s. Calculate distance and velocity after 10 seconds.

I know how to work this problem for instantaneous deployment. However, if the deployment is non-instantaneous, I need to make a few assumptions. The first is that the area of the parachute increases linearly with time: A(t) = A0 + kt, where A0 is the initial area of the undeployed parachute and k is the time rate of area increase.
***What should I assume for A0?
***Is it reasonable to assume that the parachute can be deployed in 3-5 seconds? Is this too great a time interval? Too small? From this I can determine the approximate value of k (area increase per second).
***I was told I can assume the coefficient of drag remains constant.

Does this sound like a reasonable model for non-instantaneous deployment? If so, I know how to find the desired values for distance and velocity. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
3-5 secs seems ok.

I happen to know that at terminal velocity on a parachute jump i have pulled at 5500ft, on a student canopy (large area), and been under a fully inflated canopy in secs.

They train you to count the inflation before making malfunction checks, and its about 5 sec countdown.

With modern chutes the slider has a big effect on the deployment time. It catches the air and slides up along the risers slowing deployment and reducing Jerk.

Last edited:
For area at t0 i would take the vehicles area only ( i.e. the drag that has allways been on the vehicle ).

The drag will be effected as the vehicle slows, but i think that's taken care of in the drag coefficient. I am not familiar with the equation for the coefficient of drag.

Seems like a good start to me, same as i would do, though i would prob try and define a curve for the deployment :P

1. How does a parachute slow down the descent of an object?

A parachute slows down the descent of an object by increasing air resistance. As the object falls, the parachute opens up and creates a larger surface area for air to push against, which creates drag. This drag force counteracts the force of gravity, slowing down the object's descent.

2. What factors affect the speed of parachute deployment?

The speed of parachute deployment can be affected by several factors, such as the size and shape of the parachute, the weight and shape of the object being deployed, the altitude at which the parachute is deployed, and the air density and wind conditions at that altitude.

3. How do engineers determine the optimal deployment time for a parachute?

Engineers use mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical testing to determine the optimal deployment time for a parachute. They consider factors such as the speed and weight of the object, the size and shape of the parachute, and the expected air density and wind conditions at the deployment altitude.

4. Can a parachute be re-deployed after it has already been deployed?

In most cases, a parachute cannot be re-deployed after it has already been deployed. This is because the parachute fabric and lines may become tangled or damaged during the first deployment, making it unsafe to use again. However, some specialized parachutes, such as those used for skydiving, can be re-packed and re-used multiple times.

5. What happens if a parachute fails to deploy?

If a parachute fails to deploy, the object will continue to fall at its original speed until it reaches the ground. This can result in injury or even death, depending on the height of the fall. That's why it is crucial to regularly inspect and properly maintain parachutes to ensure they will deploy correctly when needed.