Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Effects of drag on the distance of a car travelling

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car starts at 100 m/s and deploys a parachute. After 10 seconds its speed decreases to 45.45 m/s. Calculate the distance the car has travelled in this duration. The effects of ground resistance are ignored.

drag coefficient and planform area product (Cd * A) = 4 m^2

2. Relevant equations

drag force, Fd = 1/2 (rho) * u^2 * Cd * A

rho = density, 1.22 kg/m^3
    u = speed
    Cd = drag coefficient
    A = planform area

-Fd = m du/dt

m = mass

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically I managed to calculate the speed after 10 seconds which is 45.45 m/s by integrating -Fd = m du/dt.

I cannot use the SUVAT equations to calculate the distance because it is not constant acceleration (I think). Besides, even if I try this method I get the question wrong. The answer from my lecturer is supposedly s=657m.

I think the above equation must be integrated again to get the displacement but I have tried and I think I'm missing something because I can't manipulate it so that I end up with s in the formula.

Please help as I have pulled my hair off trying to figure this out to no avail.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2
    What is the value for mass?

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    Oops sorry forgot to put that value. Mass is 2000 kg.

5. Apr 3, 2010 #4

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]ma=F_d[/tex]

And:

[tex]a dx=u du[/tex]

You get:

[tex]\int dx=\int\frac{m u}{F_d}du[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook