Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parachuting from 20 miles altitude

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    The guy who parachuted from 20 miles up in the atmosphere - did he heat up significantly through friction with the air and how fast was he moving?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At 20mi the air is rather thin. I imagine the limit would be the speed of sound - which is rather lower at 20mi than at sea level.
    As you reach denser lower levels of the atmosphere you will slow down as you encounter more friction - if you designed the aerodynamics correctly you should be able to slow at a rate so that you don't heat too much. In fact with a temperature n the stratosphere of <-50degC, cooling would be more of a problem.
    I think the USAF record only used a stabiliser parachute to prevent spin - it relied on drag on the body to slow down to a point that the main chute could open safely.

I think the experiment that

4. Apr 22, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Good answer. Here's the guy, Joseph Kettinger: http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Dictionary/kittinger/DI29.htm

No, frictional heating is not a significant issue here.

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4

Mk

6. Apr 23, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting point - I suppose you could argue there is no such thing as air-friction. It is only the momentum of air molecules hitting you in the direction you are travelling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?