Parachutist freefalling question

• Thread starter sid9221
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematics involved in calculating the velocity and distance traveled of a parachutist after their parachute has opened. The equation for velocity is derived and the relationship between velocity and displacement is explained. The conversation concludes with a small correction to the initial equation.
sid9221
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/parachutist.png

(This is from a mathematics not physics exam)

Well what I've done, is to compose the equation describing the velocity of the parachute once it has opened. I did this by setting up the differential equation as:

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt} = g-kv [/tex]

I solved that to get:

[tex] v = \frac{g}{k} - \frac{Ce^{-kt}}{k} [/tex]

Now the parachutist was traveling at v_0 when it deployed so I can say V(0)=v_0

hence solving I got:

[tex] v(t)= \frac{g}{k} - \frac{g-v_0k}{k}e^{-kt} [/tex]

Now the point is If I know how far from the ground the parachute opened I can figure out the distance traveled since the parachute was opened ?

I'm confused so any direction on how I should get to x(t) from v(t) would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The distance traveled is the integral of v(t). (V, the velocity, is the derivative of the displacement v=dx/dt. The parachutist travels vertically downward, so the displacement is the same as the distance traveled here.)

You made a small error in the first equation: dv/dt=-(k/m)v.

ehild

Last edited:

1. How long does a typical freefall last during a skydiving jump?

The duration of a freefall during a skydiving jump can vary depending on factors such as altitude, weight of the parachutist, and desired speed of descent. However, on average, a freefall typically lasts around 60 seconds.

2. How fast does a parachutist fall during a freefall?

The speed of a parachutist during a freefall is primarily determined by the force of gravity and air resistance. Generally, a parachutist can reach speeds of up to 120 miles per hour during a freefall.

3. What safety precautions are taken during a freefall?

Before a skydiving jump, parachutists undergo extensive training and are equipped with necessary safety gear such as a parachute, harness, and altimeter. In addition, safety protocols and procedures are followed by both the parachutist and the instructor throughout the freefall.

4. How does a parachutist control their direction and speed during a freefall?

Parachutists can control their direction and speed during a freefall by using their body position and movement. By changing the angle of their body or using specific body parts as airfoils, a parachutist can steer and adjust their speed during the freefall.

5. What happens if the parachute fails to open during a freefall?

In the event of a parachute malfunction, skydivers are trained to use a reserve parachute as a backup. In rare cases where both parachutes fail, skydivers also have a backup plan to deploy a manually-operated emergency parachute known as a "reserve static line". Additionally, modern parachutes are equipped with automatic activation devices that can deploy the reserve parachute if the parachutist is unable to do so.