1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paraglider acceleration problem

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    A paraglider is flying horizontally at a constant speed. Assume that only two forces act on it in the vertical direction, its weight and a vertical lift force exerted on its wings by the air. The lift force has a magnitude of 1900 N. For both questions, take the upward direction to be the +y direction.
    (a) What is the magnitude and direction of the force that the paraglider exerts on the earth?

This correct answer is 1900 N upwards. I need help with the next part.

(b) If the lift force should suddenly decrease to 1000 N, what would be the vertical acceleration of the glider?
    m/s2

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    If lift force decreases to 1000N, what will be the resultant force on the body now? What relationship does resultant force and acceleration have?

4. Oct 20, 2006 #3
    so would that mean the skydiver falls with a force of 900 N downward? How do I get his acceleration from that because i dont know his mass. Help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?