Parallel and perpendicular force

In summary, the largest force that can be applied upward if the box is to stay at rest is 270N. The smallest force that can be applied onto the top of the box, perpendicular to the ramp, is 118N. To find this force, you must first calculate the normal force using the equation Fn = F + Fg cos theta. Then, use the maximum static friction force (F_f = \mu F_n) to find the balance between the friction force and the component of the box's weight down the ramp. It is important to keep practicing and understanding the basic principles of forces and their components in order to solve similar problems.
inner08
A box with a mass of 22kg is at rest on a ramp inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp are us = 0.78 and uk = 0.65.

a) Determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward, parallel to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest.

b) Determine the magnitude of the smallest force that can be applied onto the top of the box, perpendicular to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest.

For a, this is what I did:

Fapp = Fs + Fg sin theta
= Usmgcos theta + mg sin theta
= mg (Uscos theta + sin theta)
= (22kg) (9.8m/s^2)(0.78 cos 45 degrees + sin 45 degrees)
= 270N

The largest force that can be applied upward if the box is to stay at rest is 270N.

For b..i'm not totally sure but this is what I got:
Fs = Fg sin theta
= mg sin 45 degrees
= (22) (9.8) (0.707)
= 152N

Fn = Fs * Us
= 152 * 0.78
= 118N

Fapp = Fn - Fg cos theta
= 118 - mg cos 45 degrees
= 118 - (22) (9.8) (0.707)
= 118 - 152
= -34N

Could that be right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution for part a is perfectly correct.

For part b, realize that if no extra force were applied, gravity would cause the box to slide down the ramp. (Since [itex]m g \sin \theta > \mu m g \cos \theta[/itex].)

When you add a force (F) perpendicular to the ramp, what changes? Hint: What's the new normal force?

Umm..i'm not completely sure but Fn = Fg cos theta?

inner08 said:
... Fn = Fg cos theta?
No. That's just the normal force due to the weight of the box. But if you are also pressing down on the box with additional force, what happens to the normal force?

If you press down on the box, then the normal force will increase I would assume.

Right. So if you press down with a force F, what's the new normal force?

Fn = Fg cos theta + F ?

That's right.

ok..great :).

So I'm assuming that finding this "new" normal force is the answer to question b) since it is the perpendicular force acting on the box. Now I'm still a bit confused since I seem to have two unknown variables. I can find the Fg cos theta using the mass and gravity in the problem as well as the angle of inclination. But how would I go to finding the F (the force that's pressing down on the box)? I appreciate your patience with me...I'm having quite a bit of difficulty with all the notions of forces/motions.

Remember my first post in this thread. You are trying to find the added force (F) needed to keep that box from sliding. Consider the forces on the box parallel to the ramp: to keep the box from sliding, those forces must add to zero.

ok I think I got this..hopefully.

If, as you said, no extra force is added, gravity would force the box to slide down so mgsin theta > usmgcos theta.

Now if it were to stay at rest with a perpendicular force, then the equation would be mgsin theta = usmgcos theta + F?

inner08 said:
Now if it were to stay at rest with a perpendicular force, then the equation would be mgsin theta = usmgcos theta + F?
No. Remember, F acts perpendicular to the ramp. While F does not act parallel to the ramp, it does affect another force that does. (How does friction depend on normal force?)

ok so I've been looking/thinking about this for a while now. We are looking for the force that acts perpendicular to the ramp. So, F = Fn - Fg cos theta. Then F = usmgsin theta - mg cos theta?

Weather this is right or wrong, I'm just wondering if there is a trick to doing these because I'm having trouble finding the forces that are indicated in problems (perpendicular or parallel). Any insight would be appreciated!

inner08 said:
We are looking for the force that acts perpendicular to the ramp. So, F = Fn - Fg cos theta.
Right!

Then F = usmgsin theta - mg cos theta?
No. For some reason, you are setting Fn = usmgsin theta.

Instead, rewrite your initial equation to show the normal force:
Fn = F + Fg cos theta

Now use this normal force to calculate the maximum static friction force using:
[tex]F_f = \mu F_n[/tex]

That's the friction force, which you can write in terms of our unknown force F. That friction force must balance the component of the box's weight down the ramp.

Weather this is right or wrong, I'm just wondering if there is a trick to doing these because I'm having trouble finding the forces that are indicated in problems (perpendicular or parallel).
My advice is to solve as many problems as you can get your hands on. Don't give up until you understand how to solve each problem. (Getting the answer is not enough--even after you know the answer, things still might not be clear. Keep going over the problem, keep thinking, until it clicks in.)

Other than that I advise you to not look for tricks (although you'll undoubtedly discover a few), but to keep looking for how the basic principles are applied. For example, the basics here are Newton's 2nd law, the idea of forces as vectors with components that can be considered separately, and the relationship of friction with the normal force.

Doc Al said:
My advice is to solve as many problems as you can get your hands on. Don't give up until you understand how to solve each problem. (Getting the answer is not enough--even after you know the answer, things still might not be clear. Keep going over the problem, keep thinking, until it clicks in.)

sorry for digging up this old thread but I am taking a correspondence course with this same question in it...there really isn't many example questions in this course for me to properly grasp this. Any chance someone could point me to a place to get more practice questions like the one above?

1. What is the difference between parallel and perpendicular force?

Parallel force refers to forces that act in the same direction as one another, while perpendicular force refers to forces that act at right angles to one another.

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of parallel and perpendicular forces?

The magnitude of parallel forces can be calculated by simply adding together all the individual forces acting in the same direction. The magnitude of perpendicular forces can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. How do parallel and perpendicular forces affect the motion of an object?

Parallel forces can either cause an object to move in the same direction as the force, or can counteract other forces and keep the object at rest. Perpendicular forces can change the direction of an object's motion, but not its speed.

4. Can parallel and perpendicular forces cancel each other out?

Yes, parallel and perpendicular forces can cancel each other out if they are equal in magnitude but act in opposite directions. This can result in an object being at rest or moving with constant velocity.

5. How do parallel and perpendicular forces relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Parallel forces are related to Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Perpendicular forces are related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration.