Parallel and Series, Lightbulb Problem

In summary, a comparison is made between two circuits with identical light bulbs connected to a constant voltage battery. Circuit 1 is in series while Circuit 2 is in parallel. The individual bulbs in Circuit 2 are brighter than those in Circuit 1 due to a lower resistance and greater current. The equation for power dissipation in a resistive component should be considered, rather than a linear relationship with voltage.
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

4 identical light bulbs are connected either in series (circuit 1) or parallel (circuit 2) to a constant voltage battery with negligible internal resistance as shown.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7250/seriesoz2.th.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/327/parallelfe8.th.jpg

(Sorry about the sloppy diagram but that's pretty much the gist of it)

Compared to the individual bulbs in circuit 1, the individual bulbs in circuit 2 are:

A) 1/4 as bright
B) less than 1/4 as bright
C) 4 times brighter
D) the same brightness
E) more than 4 times brighter

The Attempt at a Solution

The resistance in Circuit 1 would be 4R while the resistance in Circuit 2 would 1/4 R. Because the parallel has a lower resistance, it has a greater current therefore there is more power in the parallel configuration. I thought the right answer was C) 4 times brighter but it is wrong and I can't understand why that is. What am I missing here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brightness, in that problem, probably corresponds to the power output of the lightbulbs. Remember that power = current * voltage drop

Think in terms of power, not in terms of voltage. What is the equation for the power dissipated by a resistive component, in terms of the voltage across it? Hint -- it's not a linear relationship.

Rats. EFuzzy was too quick for me!

BTW, remember EFuzzy that on homework help, we should not give out complete answers. We just give out hints and ask the original poster (OP) to do the final work.

Thanks for chiming in, though. More help is always appreciated.

I think I got it now. Thank you!

1. How does a series circuit affect the brightness of lightbulbs?

In a series circuit, the brightness of lightbulbs decreases as more lightbulbs are added to the circuit. This is because the current is divided among the lightbulbs, resulting in less current flowing through each lightbulb, causing them to be less bright.

2. What is the difference between a parallel and series circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, allowing for multiple paths for the current to flow. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing through each component in order. Additionally, in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component is the same, while in a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components.

3. How does adding more lightbulbs in a parallel circuit affect the overall resistance?

Adding more lightbulbs in a parallel circuit decreases the overall resistance of the circuit. This is because in a parallel circuit, the resistance of each branch is added together, resulting in a lower total resistance as more branches are added.

4. Can a parallel circuit have different types of lightbulbs?

Yes, a parallel circuit can have different types of lightbulbs. This is because each branch in a parallel circuit is independent, allowing for different types of lightbulbs with different resistance and voltage requirements to be used.

5. How does a series circuit affect the total voltage of the circuit?

In a series circuit, the total voltage is divided among the components, with each component receiving a portion of the total voltage. This means that the total voltage of the circuit will be equal to the sum of the voltage across each component.