1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Axis Theorem problem help

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is moreof a conceptual question regarding the parallel axis theorem and area.
    Lets say I have a solid rectangle with length L, and Width W.
    I cut out a circle of radius R at the center.
    When calculating the Total Area moment of inertia of the hollow region where the circle was cut out
    is it Itotal=Irectangle-(Icentral-Ad2) or
    Itotal=Irectangle-(Icentral+Ad2)
    because I know the region cut out has a negative area, so I subtract that moment of inertia from the rectangle's moment of inertia, but I'm not sure if that negative carries over inside the parenthesis as well

2. Relevant equations
    Iany=Icentral + Ad2

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a rectangle and then you remove a circular area from the center, the parallel axis theorem really doesn't come into play, because the centroid of the resulting figure hasn't changed from before the circular area was removed; i.e. I(net) = I(rectangle) - I(circle)

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    I agree, but I wanted to explain what I was asking as simply as possible, the circle could be removed anywhere and it could be any series of shapes attached together. What I am confused on is if that negative area comes to play inside of the parenthesis or if it's |Ad^2|

5. Dec 8, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cut out a positive area, that makes a negative contribution to the total moment of inertia.

The second equation is correct.

ehild

6. Dec 8, 2013 #5
    thank you!!

7. Dec 8, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted