Parallel plate capacitor problem

In summary: But the whole number needs to be in a different unit. I would use meters squared for the plate area and then use volts and amps to find the potential difference.In summary, homework statement:A parallel plate capacitor is constructed with plates of area .0280 m^2 and separation .550mm.Find the charge on each plate when potential difference between plates is 20.1V.what separation would be necessary to give a charge of 20 nC on each plate?
camel-man

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor is constructed with plates of area .0280 m^2 and separation .550mm

Find the charge on each plate when potential difference between plates is 20.1V.

what separation would be necessary to give a charge of 20 nC on each plate?

Homework Equations

Im not sure that is where i am confused[/b]

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not even know which equations to use... I think it might be C=εA/d
and another question is what is the difference between C=Q/V and C=εA/d? When should i choose between using the two.?
but I'm taking a shot in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use both equations for this problem.

The first equation relates the physical geometry of the device to its electrical property (capacitance).

The second equation relates the electrical quantities of voltage and charge to the given capacitance (regardless of geometry).

My thoughts are this.. Use C=εA/d where ε=Kε0 and K=.5mv^2 (what is mass in this case?)

so we have multiple unknowns to get to a correct answer. If i can solve for K then I could get C and then plug it into Q=CV to get charge.

ε is always an abbreviation of the product of ε0 x εr,
the permittivities.

camel-man said:
My thoughts are this.. Use C=εA/d where ε=Kε0 and K=.5mv^2 (what is mass in this case?)
Ah, no. Here ε is a physical constant, the permittivity of free space. It's not related to any kinetic energy or mass or velocity in this problem. I think you may be confusing the constant K from Coulomb's law with the variable name KE which represent kinetic energy.

so we have multiple unknowns to get to a correct answer. If i can solve for K then I could get C and then plug it into Q=CV to get charge.

There is no K. Start with what you've been given. You are given the physical geometry of the capacitor and you have an equation that related that geometry to the capacitance. Why not find the capacitance?

Okay, so I solved for C=εA/d I got 1.26x10^-11

I plugged C into Q=CV and got 2.53x10^-10

does this look right so far?

If it is, than I suppose I will factor that into the C=εA/d when trying to solve for finding the separation of 20.0nC

camel-man said:
Okay, so I solved for C=εA/d I got 1.26x10^-11

I plugged C into Q=CV and got 2.53x10^-10

does this look right so far?

If it is, than I suppose I will factor that into the C=εA/d when trying to solve for finding the separation of 20.0nC

Your value for capacitance looks odd to me. Did the original problem state the plate area to be 0.0280 square meters, or 0.0280 meters square?

Meters square

Okay. That makes a difference! Your calculations look okay so far. Be sure to include units on your numerical results.

For the next part you are given both charge and voltage and you need to find the required plate separation. How might you do that with your given equations?

I got this d = 6.97x10^-9

This doesn't seem right to me. This is how I came to that answer...

d = εAV/Q

and I used 20.0x10^-6 C for the Q at the bottom

camel-man said:
I got this d = 6.97x10^-9

This doesn't seem right to me. This is how I came to that answer...

d = εAV/Q

and I used 20.0x10^-6 C for the Q at the bottom

Looks like a unit conversion issue (power of ten). The digits are okay.

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conducting plates separated by a dielectric material, which can be a vacuum or an insulating material. When a voltage is applied to the plates, an electric field is created between them, causing the plates to store opposite charges.

2. How do you calculate the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. Increasing the area of the plates or decreasing the distance between them will increase the capacitance, while using a higher permittivity material will also increase the capacitance.

4. What is the electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor?

The electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is constant and is given by the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage applied to the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases. This is because a larger distance between the plates means a weaker electric field and therefore less ability to store charges.