Parameterize Radial Vector of Electric Field due to Spherical Shell

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a distance z from the center of a spherical shell with uniform charge density using Gauss' Law. It is determined that the electric field can only have a z-component due to the spherical symmetry. Different parameterizations are suggested for finding the electric field at different distances, such as using the position vector from an element of charge to the point of interest on the z-axis. The appropriate parameterization for the spherical shell is discussed as well.
Cedric Chia
Homework statement:
Find the electric field a distance z from the center of a spherical shell of radius R that carries a uniform charge density σ.

Relevant Equations: Gauss' Law
$$\vec{E}=k\int\frac{\sigma}{r^2}\hat{r}da$$

My Attempt:
By using the spherical symmetry, it is fairly obvious that the horizontal component of electric field at z cancel, leaving only $$\vec{E}=E_{z}\hat{z}$$
and from there we can get rid of the complexity of the $$\hat{r}$$
and continue... BUT !
What if I'm not aware of this symmetry property of the spherical shell and must do the parameterization? I know the x component and y component of this vector: $$\vec{r}=<-Rsin\phi cos\theta ,-Rsin\phi sin\theta, zcos\phi>$$
is correctly parameterized in this way but the z component doesn't seem right...
i.e. when:$$\theta=0$$ $$\phi=180$$
the z component should be:
$$R+\text{distance from origin to the point outside the sphere}$$
in order to get from the bottom of the sphere to the top and some extra distance to get to the point
What is the z component in this parameterization? Please HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual expression for the electric field due to charge ##Q## at the origin is $$\vec E=\frac{kQ}{r^2}\hat r$$ The Cartesian components of the radial unit vector are given by ##\hat r=\sin\theta\cos\phi~\hat x+\sin\theta\sin\phi~\hat y+\cos\theta~\hat z## and ##r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2##. When ##\theta =0##, ##\phi## is irrelevant because the point of interest is on the z-axis. The electric field can only have a z-component whether you recognize the symmetry or not. In this special case, ##\hat r =\hat z##, ##r = z## and you can write $$\vec E=\frac{kQ}{z^2}\hat z.$$Does that answer your question?

kuruman said:
The usual expression for the electric field due to charge ##Q## at the origin is $$\vec E=\frac{kQ}{r^2}\hat r$$ The Cartesian components of the radial unit vector are given by ##\hat r=\sin\theta\cos\phi~\hat x+\sin\theta\sin\phi~\hat y+\cos\theta~\hat z## and ##r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2##. When ##\theta =0##, ##\phi## is irrelevant because the point of interest is on the z-axis. The electric field can only have a z-component whether you recognize the symmetry or not. In this special case, ##\hat r =\hat z##, ##r = z## and you can write $$\vec E=\frac{kQ}{z^2}\hat z.$$Does that answer your question?
Thank you for your help but I'm actually looking for an alternative solution.
For example:
When finding electric field distance z perpendicular above the mid point of a line segment, we usually parameterize:
$$\vec{r}=<-x,0,z>$$
in order to get from any point on the line segment to the point on the z axis
When finding electric field distance z perpendicular above the mid point of a ring with radius R, we use:
$$\vec{r}=<-Rcos\phi ,-Rsin\phi , z>$$
so that any point on the ring can get to the point above the mid point
Now back to my question: a spherical shell, what parameterization should we use in order to get from surface of the sphere to the point which lies on the z axis?
Thank you again.

Ah, I think I understand. Your ##\vec r## is a position vector from an element of charge to a point of interest on the z-axis. (If you have the EM textbook by Griffiths, it is his "curly-r"). It is the difference ##(\vec r - \vec r')## where ##\vec r## is the position vector of the point of interest and ##\vec r'## is the position vector of the element of charge. To be clear about what's what, primed coordinates refer to position in the charge distribution and unprimed elements refer to field coordinates. All integrals are done with respect to primed coordinates.

For the ring that you mentioned,
##\vec r = z~\hat z## and ##\vec r'=R \cos\phi' ~\hat x+R \sin\phi' ~\hat y## so that
##(\vec r - \vec r')=-R \cos\phi' ~\hat x-R \sin\phi' ~\hat y+z~\hat z##
which agrees with what you have.

For the shell,
##\vec r'=R( \sin\theta' \cos\phi' ~\hat x+ \sin\theta'\sin\phi' ~\hat y+ \cos\theta'~\hat z).##
I leave it up to you to find ##(\vec r - \vec r')##. To avoid future confusion, I recommend that you stop using ##\vec r## when you mean to write the difference ##(\vec r - \vec r')##.

Likes PeroK
kuruman said:
Ah, I think I understand. Your ##\vec r## is a position vector from an element of charge to a point of interest on the z-axis. (If you have the EM textbook by Griffiths, it is his "curly-r"). It is the difference ##(\vec r - \vec r')## where ##\vec r## is the position vector of the point of interest and ##\vec r'## is the position vector of the element of charge. To be clear about what's what, primed coordinates refer to position in the charge distribution and unprimed elements refer to field coordinates. All integrals are done with respect to primed coordinates.

For the ring that you mentioned,
##\vec r = z~\hat z## and ##\vec r'=R \cos\phi' ~\hat x+R \sin\phi' ~\hat y## so that
##(\vec r - \vec r')=-R \cos\phi' ~\hat x-R \sin\phi' ~\hat y+z~\hat z##
which agrees with what you have.

For the shell,
##\vec r'=R( \sin\theta' \cos\phi' ~\hat x+ \sin\theta'\sin\phi' ~\hat y+ \cos\theta'~\hat z).##
I leave it up to you to find ##(\vec r - \vec r')##. To avoid future confusion, I recommend that you stop using ##\vec r## when you mean to write the difference ##(\vec r - \vec r')##.
Thank you! You really made my day! I'm using the Griffiths Textbook but never thought of using vector addition on "curly-r / script-r" $$\text{script r} = \vec{r}-\vec{r'}$$
where $$\text{script r}:=\text{the vector starts at source charges (the sphere) and ends at point z}$$
$$\vec{r}:=\text{the vector starts at origin and ends at point z}$$
$$\vec{r'}:=\text{the vector starts at origin and ends at source charges (the sphere)}$$
Thanks again!

Since you have radial symmetry here, of course you should work in spherical coordinates. Due to this symmetry the electric field must be of the form ##\vec{E}(\vec{r})=E_r(r) \vec{e}_r##. Now use this in Gauss's Law in integral form,
$$\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{E}=\frac{1}{\epsilon_0} Q_V,$$
where ##V## is an arbitary volume, ##\partial V## its boundary surface, and ##Q_V## the charge inside the volume.

In your case you choose of course a sphere with radius ##r## around the origin for ##V##. Then you get uniquely ##E_r(r)## everywhere.

Another more simple way is to use the electric potential, which is a function of ##r## only due to the spherical symmetry. Then you only need
$$\Delta \phi=\frac{1}{r} \partial_r^2 (r \phi)=\frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \rho,$$
where in your case
$$\rho(\vec{r})=\rho(r)=\frac{1}{4 \pi a^2} \delta(r-a).$$

1. What is a radial vector?

A radial vector is a vector that points outward from the center of a sphere or circle in all directions. It is often used in physics and mathematics to describe the direction and magnitude of a force or field.

2. How is the electric field due to a spherical shell parameterized?

The electric field due to a spherical shell can be parameterized using the equation E = kQ/r², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is the significance of the parameterization of the radial vector of the electric field?

The parameterization of the radial vector allows us to calculate the electric field at any point outside of the spherical shell by simply plugging in the values for k, Q, and r. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the electric field due to a spherical shell.

4. Can the parameterization of the radial vector be used for other types of fields?

Yes, the parameterization of the radial vector can be used for any type of field that follows an inverse square law, such as gravitational or magnetic fields. It is a general formula that can be applied to different situations.

5. How does the parameterization of the radial vector change for a non-uniformly charged spherical shell?

For a non-uniformly charged spherical shell, the parameterization of the radial vector becomes more complex as the electric field varies at different points on the shell. In this case, the electric field must be calculated using integration rather than a simple equation.