Parametric Equations and direction

In summary, the parameterization of the unit circle given by x=cos(3t^{2}-t), y=sin(3t^{2}-t) for t in (-\infty,\infty) traces the circle out in a clockwise direction only when t=0.
UMich1344
Homework Statement

Consider the parameterization of the unit circle given by [tex]x=cos(3t^{2}-t)[/tex], [tex]y=sin(3t^{2}-t)[/tex] for t in [tex](-\infty,\infty)[/tex].

In which intervals of t is the parameterization tracing the circle out in a clockwise direction?

In which intervals of t is the parameterization tracing the circle out in a counter-clockwise direction?

The attempt at a solution

I know this can't be too difficult. I'm just really struggling to understand the intervals in terms of the direction of motion. So far I've been able to conclude that the entire unit circle is in fact traced out by this parameterization and that when t=0, the point being traced out on the circle is at (1,0). I can see that initially for t>0, the motion is counter-clockwise but can't determine when the motion changes direction again. The same applies for the other direction. I see that initially for t<0, the motion is clockwise but am struggling to see when motion in that direction changes and begins going the other direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know (I hope!) that sine and cosine have period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. The parametric equations x= cos(u), y= sin(u) will describe a circle (counter-clockwise) as u goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Now, what if u= 3t2- t? that is equal to t(3t- 1) which has zeros at t= 0 and t= 1/3. It's not too hard to see that its vertex is at t= 1/6 and, at that point, u= 3(1/6)2- 1/6= 1/12- 2/12= -1/12. Of course x= cos(u), y= sin(u) trace the circle in counter- clockwise direction as long as u is increasing, clockwise as long as u is decreasing. Can you get the answer now?

Would these intervals be correct?

Clockwise for t: [tex](-\infty, \frac{1}{6})[/tex]

Counter-clockwise for t: [tex](\frac{1}{6}, \infty)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex] is not included in the interval because the derivative of u (see below) is 0 at that point, so it is neither increasing nor decreasing. Right?

Work:

[tex]u=3t^{2}-t[/tex]

[tex]du=6t-1[/tex]

For clockwise, u must be decreasing, so du must be less than 0.

[tex]du<0[/tex]

[tex]6t-1<0[/tex]

[tex]t<\frac{1}{6}[/tex]

For counter-clockwise, u must be increasing, so du must be greater than 0.

[tex]du>0[/tex]

[tex]6t-1>0[/tex]

[tex]t>\frac{1}{6}[/tex]

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to describe the relationship between two variables, typically x and y, in terms of a third variable, often denoted by t. They are commonly used to represent curves, such as circles or ellipses, and allow for more flexibility in expressing equations compared to traditional Cartesian equations.

2. How are parametric equations different from Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations use a third variable, often denoted by t, to represent the relationship between x and y, while Cartesian equations use only x and y. This allows for more flexibility in expressing equations and can make it easier to graph certain types of curves.

3. What is the significance of the direction in parametric equations?

The direction in parametric equations represents the direction in which the curve is traced out as the third variable, t, changes. This can be thought of as the direction in which the curve is moving on a coordinate plane.

4. How are parametric equations useful in science?

Parametric equations are useful in science because they allow for a more flexible way of representing equations and can be used to describe complex curves and shapes. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model motion, trajectories, and other phenomena.

5. Can parametric equations be converted to Cartesian equations?

Yes, parametric equations can be converted to Cartesian equations by eliminating the third variable, t. This can be done by solving one equation for t and substituting it into the other equation. However, this may result in multiple equations, as parametric equations can represent multiple curves, so it is not always possible to convert them to a single Cartesian equation.