1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equations finding largest radius

1. May 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that r = f (θ) defines a polar graph. Find an expression for dx/dθ. It should not involve the letter r. Explain a procedure to determine the farthest that the graph r = f (θ) extends to the left and to the right (Hint: If x = x0 is the x - value of the point that is farthest left, how does x0 compare with all other x-values?).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The wording of the question seems a bit off especially the hint "is the x - value of the point that is farthest left".
    Here is how I started teh problem. I know that x=r*cos(θ) so i subsituded r for f(θ) to get
    x=f(θ)cos(θ). My guess is that when the derivative of dx/dθ is equal to 0 then that means that the polar graph is turning back around so I take the derivative of x to get dx/dθ =-f(θ)sin(θ) +f'(θ)cos(θ)
    then I set it equal to 0 to get
    -f(θ)sin(θ) +f'(θ)cos(θ)=0
    f(θ)sin(θ) =f'(θ)cos(θ)
    tan(θ)=f'(θ)/f(θ)
    tan(θ)=f'(θ)/(x/cos(θ))
    x=(f'(θ) tan(θ)cos(θ))

I don't really know what I'm doing at this point. How should I approach this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It all looks fine to here. In practice, you would know f(), so could then solve the above equation to find the theta of interest, then compute x from x = f(θ) cos(θ). There's no point in bringing x back into the equation first unless you can eliminate theta and get an equation in x only - which you can't without knowing what f is.

4. May 19, 2013 #3
    I see. That makes sense. I guess I was expecting a bit more out of the problem. Is there any point to the hint that was provided? I feel like I'm still missing a big chunk of the question.

5. May 19, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You used the hint when you looked for the extremum of x. One thing you have not done is show how to determine it's a leftmost value, not a rightmost one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted