1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric representation of a Spiral

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    Propose a parametric representation of a spiral.
    Hint: Use the parametric representation of a circle.

This is the parametric representation of a circle we are given :

x = r * Cos(Theta)
    y = r * Sin (Theta)

0 <= Theta <= 2 Pi

Nope, we are not given anything background on spirals.

I am like super new at this graphics thingy. I've been searching around the net for 4 hours now, I did find a few answers but none taught me how to get the representation from a circle and I have no idea how they derive at the answer.

All I know right now about this graphics thingy is :

x and y are like coordinates.

And that t or Theta in this case is kinda like a path or timeline where decides when coordinates of x and y starts and ends.

I am thinking of making the radius a parameter and then slowly increasing it?

x = u * Cos(Theta)
    y = u * Sin (Theta)

1 <= u <= 4

Something like that?

Thats all I know, so help please?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

that would work as a 2D spiral, but you would want it all in terms of one parameter, so try starting with theta(u) = u

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If u is fixed, that is a circle of radius u, not a spiral. If u is a variable, then you have two parameters and that is a surface, not a spiral.

To get a spiral in two dimensions, you need to make the radius variable but not introduce a new variable so something like x= theta*cos(theta), y= theta* sin(theta).

If the problem is, as lanedance suggests, a three dimensional spiral, a "helix", then you need to introduce a "z" component that increases, again not introducing a new parameter.

Something like x= Cos(Theta), y= Sin(Theta), z= Theta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook