1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric representation of a vector electric field

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See Attachment

2. Relevant equations

None I can think of

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm fairly certain that phi_yx is zero
    Also I tried factoring out the cos and splitting up the equation into it's respective components, but to no avail. Am I even going about this correctly?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The last bit is a typo. It should be [itex]\phi_{xy} = \phi_x[/itex].

I'm not sure what you mean by "splitting up the equation into its respective components" since the equation you're supposed to show is true is a scalar equation.

4. Oct 25, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply Vela! Actually I think I figured it out. Maybe you or someone else can check my work? I assumed that it the phi's were not typos, but they could very well be. I went ahead and attached my work.

Attached Files:

5. Oct 25, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your expressions for Ex and Ey are slightly wrong. For example,
    [tex]E_x = A_x\cos(kz-\omega t+\phi_x) = A_x\cos(-r+\phi_x) = A_x\cos(r-\phi_x)[/tex]since cosine is an even function. You have an extra negative signs floating around.

You must have made a mistake somewhere in the middle because the cross term has the wrong sign. The sign doesn't flip the way you did it because, again, [itex]\cos (-\theta)=\cos\theta[/itex].

You actually made it more complicated by keeping the E's and A's around. You know that
    \begin{align*}
    \frac{E_x}{A_x} &= \cos(\phi_x-r) \\
    \frac{E_y}{A_y} &= \cos(r) \\
    \end{align*}so you could have just written the lefthand side in terms of cosines and then shown it simplifies down to the righthand side.

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    Ah that I forgot about that cosine property and I found a convenient sign mistake half way through the problem. Thanks Vela!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook