Parametric to Polar Conversion

In summary, the student attempted to find the parametric equations for a given polar equation, but wasn't able to do so without first eliminating the parameter t. After substituting x and y into the equation y=y(t(x)), they were able to convert y to r using the identities listed above.
Zach Knight

Homework Statement

Convert the two equations x=x(t) and y=y(t) to a polar equation of the form r=r([tex]\theta[/tex])

Homework Equations

x=r*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
y=r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
r[tex]^{2}[/tex]=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but in order to eliminate the parameter t, I solved one of the two parametric equations, say x(t), for t, giving an equation t=t(x). I then substituted this equation into y(t), giving y=y(t(x)). Afterward, I used the identities listed above to convert y to r. Is this valid? Is there a way to do this without having to invert one of the functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zach Knight said:

Homework Statement

Convert the two equations x=x(t) and y=y(t) to a polar equation of the form r=r([tex]\theta[/tex])

Homework Equations

x=r*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
y=r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
r[tex]^{2}[/tex]=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but in order to eliminate the parameter t, I solved one of the two parametric equations, say x(t), for t, giving an equation t=t(x). I then substituted this equation into y(t), giving y=y(t(x)). Afterward, I used the identities listed above to convert y to r. Is this valid? Is there a way to do this without having to invert one of the functions?
It doesn't seem valid to me. For one thing, when you solve for t in terms of x, you are finding the inverse of the original function, which may or may not exist. For example, if x = f(t) = t2 + 3, f is not one-to-one, so doesn't have an inverse.

The usual approach is to eliminate the parameter t, and then replace x and y using the identities you show.

For example, if x = t and y = t2, x2 - y = t2 - t2 = 0,
so r2cos2(theta) - rsin(theta) = 0.

This is equivalent to rcos2(theta) - sin(theta) = 0, or r = sin(theta)/cos2(theta), so here we have r as a function of theta. Eliminating one factor of r is legitimate in this case since there is at least one value of theta for which sin(theta)/cos2(theta) = 0 (namely theta = 0, and others), so we haven't lost any solutions by getting rid of the factor of r.

There is one conversion formula that you didn't show, that is sometimes useful: theta = tan-1(y/x).

But where are your parametric equations you want to convert to polar coordinates? [itex]x= rcos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] are NOT parametric equations- they are true for all points in the plane.

The thing is, I don't have the parametric equations; I'm trying to find them via a differential equation. I'm trying to formulate
[tex]\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}=\frac{-MG}{|r|^3}\vec{r}[/tex]
in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex] because the only way I could find to solve the above equation was to assume [tex]|r|[/tex] was a constant. I think I have it now though. I rewrote the problem in terms of the unit vector
[tex]\hat{r}=cos(\theta)\hat{i}+sin(\theta)\hat{j}[/tex]
and got
[tex](\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r(\frac{d\theta}{dt})^2)\hat{r}+(2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{dt}+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2})\frac{d\hat{r}}{dt} = \frac{-MG}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex],
a differential equation I think I can actually solve.
Sorry if any of the math or notation is wrong; I haven't had a calculus class yet, so my education isn't very formalized yet.

1. What is parametric to polar conversion?

Parametric to polar conversion is a mathematical process used to convert equations written in parametric form (with variables expressed in terms of a third parameter) into polar form (with variables expressed in terms of radius and angle).

2. When is parametric to polar conversion used?

Parametric to polar conversion is typically used when working with equations involving circles, ellipses, and other curved shapes in the Cartesian coordinate system. It can also be used to simplify complex equations and make them easier to graph and analyze.

3. What is the formula for converting from parametric to polar form?

The formula for converting from parametric to polar form is r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) for the radius and theta = arctan(y/x) for the angle. These equations can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities.

4. How does parametric to polar conversion differ from Cartesian to polar conversion?

Parametric to polar conversion involves converting an equation with variables expressed in terms of a third parameter, while Cartesian to polar conversion involves converting coordinates from the Cartesian coordinate system (x, y) to the polar coordinate system (r, theta). Both processes use different formulas and serve different purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to parametric to polar conversion?

Parametric to polar conversion can only be applied to equations with variables expressed in terms of a third parameter. It cannot be used for equations with only two variables. Additionally, the conversion may not always produce a simplified or more useful form of the equation, and in some cases, it may be more beneficial to leave the equation in parametric form.