1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrization of straigth line in space

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    How can I parametrize the straigth line C from (2,-1,3) to (4,2,-1)?

In the xy-plane I simply use the eq. y-y(0)=m(x-x(0)) to find the parametrization, but what should I do when we have 3 dimensions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A straight line from A to B can be parametrized by t*B+(1-t)*A where t runs from 0 to 1.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  4. Apr 13, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are two ways to approach this: If x is a linear function of the parameter, t, i.e. x= at+ b, when t= 0, x= 2, when t= 1, x= 4, what are a and b? If y is a linear function of the parametre, t, i.e. y= ct+ d, when t= 0, y= -1, when t= 1, y= 2, what are c and d? If z is a linear function of the parameter, t, i.e. z= et+ f, when t= 0, z= 3, when t= 1, z= -1, what are e and f?

Or,treat it as a vector equation: X(t)= <x(t),y(t),z(t)>= At+ B where A and B are vectors. When t= 0 X(0)= <2, -1, 3>= B. When t= 1, X(1)= <4,2,1>= A+ B and so A= <4, 2, 1>- B= <4,2,1>- <2,-1,3>= <2, 3, -2>: X(t)= <2, 3,-2>t+ <2, -1, 3>= <2t+2,3t-1,-2t+ 3>.

Notice that, in both of these methods, as well as Dicks method take t between 0 and 1. Since there are an infinite number of different parameterizations for a curve, you are free to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?