1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrizing a Self-Intersecting Rectangle

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S be the self-intersecting rectangle in ##\mathbb{R}^3## given by the implicit equation ##x^2−y^2z = 0##. Find a parametrization for S.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is my first encounter with a surface like this. The first thing that came to my mind was letting ##z = f(x,y)## so that the parametrization can be given as:

##\Phi(u,v) = (u,v,\displaystyle \frac{u^2}{v^2})##

The problem I'm having is finding the limits for ##u## and ##v##. When I plugged the implicit equation into Mathematica, the surface looks like an X shape from above, though I had to expand the range for the axes by a very large amount for it to look like that. I do know that ##v## has to be non-zero, but that's pretty much it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you look at the traces when ##z = c^2## for you get ##x^2-y^2c^2=0## so the level curves of that surface are ##(x+cy)(x-cy)=0##, which is two intersecting straight lines. I would think about letting one of the parameters be ##z=c^2,\ y = y## and doing it as two pieces. That would certainly solve your range problem and also eliminates your problem when ##c=0##.

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    I don't quite get why you set ##z = c^2 \ge 0##. For example, if ##x=0,y=0## and ##z## negative, that also satisfies the equation, right?

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It's a bit strange though. The ##z## axis solves the equation alright, but there is no surface if ##z<0##. You just have the bare axis. I wouldn't include it as part of the parameterization, but your mileage may vary.

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5
    Okay, so suppose one piece of the surface is when ##x = cy##. How would I go about finding the limits for ##c,y##?

7. Mar 19, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know ##c## parameterizes the ##z## axis which is ##z\ge 0## for our purposes, and we are using ##c^2## for convience, so ##c\ge 0## is easy. Then those straight lines go forever so you wouldn't have any limit on ##y##. Have you tried a parametric plot to compare with your original plot?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted