Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrizing Complex Line Integral

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    So this is an ultra basic question, but I'm rusty with parametrization techniques and wanted to make sure I was doing this correctly. Let's say I want to evaluate [tex]\int_{\gamma} z \: dz[/tex] where [tex]\gamma : [a,b]\rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex] is some path of integration. Now, I figure I can parametrize the curve and apply the definition of complex integration to arrive at the following: [tex]\gamma(t) = x(t) + iy(t) \quad \text{so} \quad \int_{\gamma} z \: dz = \int_a^b \gamma(t) \gamma(t)' \: dt = \int_a^b (x(t)+iy(t))(x'(t)+iy'(t)) \: dt[/tex] and distribute from there. Again, I know this is a very basic question, and I'm pretty sure it's correct, but it's been a while so I wanted to make sure I wasn't making some silly logical error (quite possible). Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2
    So far so good. You are following the definition. You can also calculate this way

[tex]\int_\gamma f(z)dz[/tex]

replacing [tex]f(z)[/tex] by [tex]f(\gamma(t))[/tex]
  4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    Shouldn't that be from t_0 to t_1?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook