Paricles in crossed electric and magnetic field

In summary, an electron and a positron are moving in the +x-direction with the same velocity in a crossed electric and magnetic field. The question states it's impossible to separate them using this configuration. Taking the +y-direction as positive for the electric field and vB, I get this: F_e = -e(E-vB) = e(-E+vB) (force on electron) F_p = e(-E-vB) (force on positron) However, this gives that the magnetic force on the electron and positron are in the same direction as the electric force, which means they would separate? But they are not supposed to.
iAlexN
An electron and a positron are moving in the +x-direction with the same velocity in a crossed electric and magnetic field (the fields are perpendicular). The question states it's impossible to separate them using this configuration.

The electric field is pointing in the -y-direction and the magnetic field, out of the page (+z-direction). Taking the +y-direction as positive for the electric field and [itex]vB[/itex], I get this:

[itex]F_e = -e(E-vB) = e(-E+vB) [/itex] (force on electron)
[itex]F_p = e(-E-vB)[/itex] (force on positron)

The cross product between the velocity (in the +x-direction) and the magnetic field (+z-direction) points the same for the electron and the positron (I think), -y-direction.

As you can see [itex]F_e[/itex] and [itex]F_p[/itex] are not equal, so the particles would be separated, which is not supposed to be possible.

But I just cannot find where I go wrong.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is there a minus sign for the positron E field magnitude and not for the electron E field?
How did you account for the attractive force between the positron and the electron?

iAlexN said:
Fe=−e(EvB)=e(−E+vB)F_e = -e(E-vB) = e(-E+vB) (force on electron)
Fp=e(−EvB)F_p = e(-E-vB) (force on positron)

Why do you have -E in the force on the positron?

For a given E field, the forces on an electron and a positron should be in opposite directions.

jtbell said:
Why do you have -E in the force on the positron?

For a given E field, the forces on an electron and a positron should be in opposite directions.

I agree, the E-field should have the same sign, in this situation I defined the minus y-direction as negative. I get:

[itex] Fe=−e(-E−vB) = e(E+vB) [/itex]
[itex]Fp=e(-E−vB) [/itex]

Supposedly (according to the question) you need not consider the attraction between the electron and the positron, just the Lorentz's Force to show this.

However, this gives that the magnetic force on the electron and positron are in the same direction as the electric force, which means they would separate? But they are not supposed to.

Oh now I get you!
Lets see - electric field is ##\vec E = -E\hat\jmath##, the magnetic field is ##\vec B = B\hat k##, and the velocity is ##\vec v = v\hat\imath##

Check my reasoning...
For an arbitrary charge q:
##\vec F = q\big[-E\hat\jmath + vB(\hat\imath \times \hat k = -\hat j)\big] = q(-E - vB )\hat\jmath##

For the particle to maintain a straight line path, ##E+ vB=0## ... if you fix the electric field and adjust the magnet, you see that it has to be ##B=-E/v < 0##
i.e. the magnetic field needs to point the other way; well done.

Is this in the context of a CRT experiment?

1. What is the purpose of studying particles in crossed electric and magnetic fields?

The purpose of studying particles in crossed electric and magnetic fields is to understand the behavior and movement of charged particles in these fields. This knowledge is useful in various fields such as plasma physics, accelerator physics, and astrophysics.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields affect charged particles?

Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field. Magnetic fields, on the other hand, cause charged particles to move in a circular or helical path, depending on their velocity and the strength of the field.

3. What is the equation for calculating the force on a charged particle in crossed electric and magnetic fields?

The force on a charged particle in crossed electric and magnetic fields can be calculated using the Lorentz force equation: F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

4. How do particles behave in different configurations of crossed electric and magnetic fields?

Particles can behave differently depending on the strength and orientation of the electric and magnetic fields. For example, in a uniform electric field and a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to each other, particles will move in a circular path. In a non-uniform electric field and a uniform magnetic field, particles will experience a force that causes them to spiral inward or outward.

5. What applications does the study of particles in crossed electric and magnetic fields have?

The study of particles in crossed electric and magnetic fields has various applications in fields such as particle accelerators, plasma physics, and space research. It also has practical applications in technologies such as mass spectrometry, particle detectors, and magnetic confinement fusion reactors.