1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivates - Chain Rule

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Parametrize the upper half of the unit circle by [itex] x = cos(t), y = sin(t), [/itex] for [itex]0\leq t \leq\pi[/itex]

Let [itex] T = f(x,y)[/itex] be the temperature at the point [itex](x,y)[/itex] on the upper half of the circle.
    Suppose that:
    [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = 4x - 2y[/tex] [tex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial y} = -2x + 4y [/tex]

Using the given parametrization and the chain rule, find the derivative [itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]. Then:

(a) Using methods of single-variable calculus, find where the minimum and maximum temperatures occur on the upper half circle:

When t = [______], and this occurs at the point [itex](x,y)[/itex]=(__,__)

(b) Find the maximum and minimum values of the function: [tex]2x^2 - 2xy + 2y^2[/tex]
    on the upper half of the unit circle.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = (4x - 2y)\frac{dx}{dt} + (-2x + 4y)\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = (4x - 2y)(-sin(t)) + (-2x + 4y)(cos(t))[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -4xsin(t) + 2ysin(t) - 2xcos(t) + 4ycos(t) [/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -4cos(t)sin(t) + 2sin^2(t) - 2cos^2(t) +4sin(t)cos(t)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = 2(sin^2(t) - cos^2(t)) [/tex]
    So I found [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex] like the problem asked. Then, using "single variable calculus," I found the second derivative ([itex]\frac{d^2T}{dt^2}[/itex]) and set it to zero to find the maximum and minimums.
    Those turned out to be [itex]\frac{d^2T}{dt^2} = 0 = [0,pi/2,pi][/itex]

I plugged in the values, but the result comes back as in correct. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To find a min/max for temperature, T, set its 1st derivative to zero !

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    Ah, yes. That would be the logical thing to do wouldn't it? :blushing:

Right as I sent that question, I realized where I messed up.
    [tex] \frac{d^2T}{dt^2}[/tex] is not the second derivative of [tex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex].
    I should have derived one more time. :grumpy:
    Stupid mistakes..

Thanks for your reply though. I did it both ways just to see and they both work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook