Partial Derivates - Chain Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses parametrization of the upper half of the unit circle and finding the derivative of a given function using the chain rule. It then asks to use single-variable calculus to find the maximum and minimum temperatures on the upper half circle, which can be done by setting the first derivative of the temperature function to zero. The conversation also includes a question about finding the maximum and minimum values of a different function on the upper half of the unit circle.
sikrut

Homework Statement

Parametrize the upper half of the unit circle by [itex] x = cos(t), y = sin(t), [/itex] for [itex]0\leq t \leq\pi[/itex]

Let [itex] T = f(x,y)[/itex] be the temperature at the point [itex](x,y)[/itex] on the upper half of the circle.
Suppose that:
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = 4x - 2y[/tex] [tex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial y} = -2x + 4y [/tex]

Using the given parametrization and the chain rule, find the derivative [itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]. Then:

(a) Using methods of single-variable calculus, find where the minimum and maximum temperatures occur on the upper half circle:
When t = [______], and this occurs at the point [itex](x,y)[/itex]=(__,__)

(b) Find the maximum and minimum values of the function: [tex]2x^2 - 2xy + 2y^2[/tex]
on the upper half of the unit circle.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = (4x - 2y)\frac{dx}{dt} + (-2x + 4y)\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = (4x - 2y)(-sin(t)) + (-2x + 4y)(cos(t))[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -4xsin(t) + 2ysin(t) - 2xcos(t) + 4ycos(t) [/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -4cos(t)sin(t) + 2sin^2(t) - 2cos^2(t) +4sin(t)cos(t)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = 2(sin^2(t) - cos^2(t)) [/tex]
So I found [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex] like the problem asked. Then, using "single variable calculus," I found the second derivative ([itex]\frac{d^2T}{dt^2}[/itex]) and set it to zero to find the maximum and minimums.
Those turned out to be [itex]\frac{d^2T}{dt^2} = 0 = [0,pi/2,pi][/itex]

I plugged in the values, but the result comes back as in correct. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sikrut said:

Homework Statement

Parametrize the upper half of the unit circle by [itex] x = cos(t), y = sin(t), [/itex] for [itex]0\leq t \leq\pi[/itex]

Let [itex] T = f(x,y)[/itex] be the temperature at the point [itex](x,y)[/itex] on the upper half of the circle.
Suppose that:
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = 4x - 2y[/tex] [tex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial y} = -2x + 4y [/tex]

Using the given parametrization and the chain rule, find the derivative [itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]. Then:

(a) Using methods of single-variable calculus, find where the minimum and maximum temperatures occur on the upper half circle:
When t = [______], and this occurs at the point [itex](x,y)[/itex]=(__,__)

(b) Find the maximum and minimum values of the function: [tex]2x^2 - 2xy + 2y^2[/tex]
on the upper half of the unit circle.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = (4x - 2y)\frac{dx}{dt} + (-2x + 4y)\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = (4x - 2y)(-sin(t)) + (-2x + 4y)(cos(t))[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -4xsin(t) + 2ysin(t) - 2xcos(t) + 4ycos(t) [/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -4cos(t)sin(t) + 2sin^2(t) - 2cos^2(t) +4sin(t)cos(t)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = 2(sin^2(t) - cos^2(t)) [/tex]
So I found [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex] like the problem asked. Then, using "single variable calculus," I found the second derivative ([itex]\frac{d^2T}{dt^2}[/itex]) and set it to zero to find the maximum and minimums.
Those turned out to be [itex]\frac{d^2T}{dt^2} = 0 = [0,pi/2,pi][/itex]

I plugged in the values, but the result comes back as in correct. What am I doing wrong?
To find a min/max for temperature, T, set its 1st derivative to zero !

Ah, yes. That would be the logical thing to do wouldn't it? :blushing:

Right as I sent that question, I realized where I messed up.
[tex] \frac{d^2T}{dt^2}[/tex] is not the second derivative of [tex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex].
I should have derived one more time. :grumpy:
Stupid mistakes..

Thanks for your reply though. I did it both ways just to see and they both work.

1. What is the Chain Rule in partial derivatives?

The Chain Rule in partial derivatives is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. In other words, it helps us determine how changes in one variable affect the overall function.

2. How is the Chain Rule used in real-world applications?

The Chain Rule is used in many scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to model and analyze complex systems that involve multiple variables and their interdependence.

3. Can you provide an example of the Chain Rule in action?

One example of the Chain Rule in action is in the field of physics, specifically in the study of thermodynamics. The relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume in an ideal gas can be described using the Chain Rule.

4. What is the formula for the Chain Rule in partial derivatives?

The formula for the Chain Rule in partial derivatives is dF(u,v)/dx = ∂F/∂u * du/dx + ∂F/∂v * dv/dx, where F is the composite function, u and v are the variables, and x is the independent variable.

5. What is the difference between the Chain Rule and the Product Rule in derivatives?

The Chain Rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, while the Product Rule is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. The Chain Rule involves taking the derivative of the inner function and multiplying it by the derivative of the outer function, while the Product Rule involves taking the derivative of each function separately and adding them together.