Partial derivative difference question

In summary, the difference between \partial ^2 x and \partial x^2 is that the former represents the second partial derivative of a function x with respect to t, while the latter represents the partial derivative squared. This notation is commonly used in derivative notation to write \partial t * \partial t as \partial t^2. It may be helpful to think of the "partial" terms as being squared, but it may not be relevant unless you are separating something like \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}. If you have a specific problem, feel free to post it for clarification.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What's the difference between [tex]\partial ^2 x[/tex] and [tex]\partial x^2 [/tex]?

Is [tex]\partial ^2 x[/tex] the same as [tex]\left( {\partial x} \right)^2 [/tex] like [tex]\sin ^2 x$[/tex] is the same as [tex]\left( {\sin x} \right)^2 [/tex]?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have [tex] \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2} [/tex], this translates to [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} [/tex]. In other words, in derivative notation, it's common to write [tex] \partial t * \partial t [/tex] as [tex] \partial t^2 [/tex]. Does that help?

so does it mean the second partial derivative, rather than squaring something?

In the case of [tex] \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2} [/tex], it means the second partial derivative of a function x with respect to t. You can think of the "partial" terms as being squared, but I'm not sure how that would be of any help unless you're having to separate something like [tex] \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2} [/tex], as was done above. Is there a particular problem that's troubling you?

hotcommodity said:
Is there a particular problem that's troubling you?
Yes, this is a small part of a larger problem. But I think I can get it now that I understand the notation. If I get stuck, I'll post the entire problem. Thanks!

1. What is a partial derivative difference question?

A partial derivative difference question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the difference between two partial derivatives. It typically involves multivariable functions and requires knowledge of calculus and partial differentiation.

2. How is a partial derivative difference calculated?

To calculate a partial derivative difference, you first need to find the individual partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, you simply subtract the two partial derivatives to find the difference.

3. What is the purpose of solving partial derivative difference questions?

Solving partial derivative difference questions can help in understanding the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to different variables. It is also useful in optimization problems and can provide insights into how small changes in one variable affect the overall function.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable, while a total derivative is the overall rate of change of a multivariable function. In other words, a partial derivative only considers the change in one variable while keeping others constant, while a total derivative takes into account the change in all variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivative difference questions?

Partial derivative difference questions have various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to calculate marginal cost and revenue in economics or to determine the sensitivity of a system to different variables in engineering. They are also commonly used in optimization problems in various industries.