Partial Derivative Homework: Prove & Solve

In summary, the conversation discusses three partial derivative problems and how to prove them. The first problem involves proving the chain rule for partial derivatives, while the second problem relates to Leibniz notation for derivatives. The third problem involves finding the derivative of a function of multiple coordinates. The conversation also mentions the need for x to be a function of t in order for the chain rule to apply.
soi

Homework Statement

Hey, i ve got problem with a few partial derivative problems.

1.I have a function T(x,t)
Prove that dT/dt=∂T/∂t +∂T/∂x dx/dt

2.Let u(x,y) and y(x,u) be continous, differentiable functions.
Prove that
∂u/∂z=∂u/∂z ∂y/∂z

Let r(q1,q2,...qn) be a function of place depending on n coordinates.
Show that ∂r/∂q=derivative of r/derivative of q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first one i tried to prove chain rule for partial derivatives but i failed. I also cannot find one in the Web.

Second comes from Leibniz notation for derivatives - but again I can't prove it myself or find a prove.

Third- well i don't have a clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order that dT/dt exist you must be able to think of T as a function of t only. And since it is given as a function of both x and t, x itself must be a function of t. Now, one form of the chain rule for partial derivatives is
[tex]\frac{df}{dt}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
where f is a function of x and y which are both functions of t. Replace y in that with t.

Now, show us what you have tried on the others.

Related to Partial Derivative Homework: Prove & Solve

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do I prove a partial derivative?

To prove a partial derivative, you must use the definition of a partial derivative, which involves taking the limit of a difference quotient. You must also show that the limit exists and is equal to the partial derivative.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while a total derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables.

4. What techniques can I use to solve partial derivative problems?

There are a few techniques that can be used to solve partial derivative problems, such as the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule. It is also important to understand the properties of partial derivatives, such as linearity and the rule of thumb for differentiating functions with multiple variables.

5. How can I check my answer when solving partial derivative homework?

You can check your answer by taking the partial derivative again using a different variable as the one you took initially. If you get the same answer, then it is likely that your answer is correct. You can also use online tools or ask a classmate or teacher to verify your answer.