Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivative of Composite Functions

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    Any help would be much appreciated - Is it possible to say the following?

If z = g(s+at) + f(s-at), let u = s+at and v=s-at, where a is a constant.

z = g(u) + f(v), [itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex] = g'(u), [itex]\frac{∂^{2}z}{∂v∂u}[/itex] = 0?

or can ∂u and ∂v not even exist because it depends on two variables (a and t), which are the same ones as the ones v depends on.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"[tex]\partial u[/tex]" does not exist by itself. While we define "differentials", dx and dy, we do NOT define "partial differentials". Rather, if f(x, y) is a function of the two variables, x and y, we define its "total differential":
    [tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

If If z = g(s+at) + f(s-at), let u = s+at and v=s-at, where a is a constant, and z = g(u) + f(v), then
    [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial s}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial s}+ \frac{\partial g}{\partial s}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{df}{du}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}+ \frac{dg}{dv}\frac{\partial v}{\partial s}= \frac{df}{du}(1)+ \frac{dg}{dv}(1)= \frac{df}{du}+ \frac{dg}{dv}[/tex]

Similarly
    [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}= a\frac{df}{du}- a\frac{dg}{dv}[/tex]

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your quick reply! I think I get what you mean by ∂u can't exist by itself. Do you think you would be able to take a look at the original equation I posted:

[itex]z = g(u) + f(v),
    \frac{∂^{2}z}{∂u∂v} = 0[/itex]

Does that still hold true even when you can't hold v or u constant while changing the other? (they depend on the same two vars)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook