1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivative Product with variables as functions

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to understand how a certain substitution can be made with regards to taking the partial derivative of a function product when the variable I am differentiating by is a function itself.

2. Relevant equations

(∂/∂p) (v(p)p(x,t)) = v(p) + (∂v/∂p)p

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was to use the product rule, but that seems to fall down with the function p(x,t) there. Am I missing something obvious here?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because the derivative is with respect to p, the fact that p is a function of x and y is irrelevent. With f(p)= pv(p), by the product rule, df/dp= v+ p dv/dp. Notice that these are ordinary derivatives, not partial derivatives, because f depends on the single variable, p.

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, all the derivatives should be ordinary rather than partial in this case?

5. Nov 21, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5
    Ok, thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook