1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial derivatives and chain rule

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

express [tex](\frac{\partial u}{\partial s})_{v}[/tex] in terms of partial derivatives of u(s,t) and t(s,v)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty stuck with this problem. I know that

dv = [tex](\frac{\partial v}{\partial s})_{t} ds + (\frac{\partial v}{\partial t})_{s} dt[/tex]

and similarly for u(s,t) and t(s,v). But problem is that where do I get [tex](\frac{\partial u}{\partial s})_{v}[/tex] from, and how to express it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

UD1

d/(dv)[du/ds]=

d/(dv)[du(s,t(s,v))/ds]=

d/(dv)[du/ds + du/dt * dt/ds]=

d/(dv)[du/ds+du(s,t(s,v))/dt * dt(s,v)/ds]=

d^2u/dsdt * dt/dv + d^2u/dt^2 * dt/dv * dt/ds + du/dt* d^t/dsdv

Write it down in usual partial derivative notation and you'll see where it all comes from.

4. May 22, 2010 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please don't give out complete solutions (even if they are grievously incorrect like this one), it violates forum rules and doesn't help the student learn the material.

5. May 22, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For starters, [itex]u(s,t)[/itex] is a function of both [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], so use the chain rule.

6. May 22, 2010 #5

UD1

I apologize. The solution is correct though.

7. May 22, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it isn't. You've misinterpreted the question/notation.

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)_v\neq\frac{\partial}{\partial v}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)[/tex]

Instead, [itex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)_v[/itex] is defined as the derivative of [itex]u[/itex] w.r.t [itex]s[/itex], while [itex]v[/itex] is held constant. It's a specific type of partial derivative.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook