Partial derivatives and chain rule

In summary, the question is asking for the expression of the partial derivative \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)_v in terms of u(s,t) and t(s,v). This can be found using the chain rule and the given equations for dv, du(s,t), and dt(s,v).
cloudone

Homework Statement

express [tex](\frac{\partial u}{\partial s})_{v}[/tex] in terms of partial derivatives of u(s,t) and t(s,v)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty stuck with this problem. I know that

dv = [tex](\frac{\partial v}{\partial s})_{t} ds + (\frac{\partial v}{\partial t})_{s} dt[/tex]

and similarly for u(s,t) and t(s,v). But problem is that where do I get [tex](\frac{\partial u}{\partial s})_{v}[/tex] from, and how to express it?

Physics news on Phys.org
d/(dv)[du/ds]=

d/(dv)[du(s,t(s,v))/ds]=

d/(dv)[du/ds + du/dt * dt/ds]=

d/(dv)[du/ds+du(s,t(s,v))/dt * dt(s,v)/ds]=

d^2u/dsdt * dt/dv + d^2u/dt^2 * dt/dv * dt/ds + du/dt* d^t/dsdv

Write it down in usual partial derivative notation and you'll see where it all comes from.

UD1 said:
d/(dv)[du/ds]=

d/(dv)[du(s,t(s,v))/ds]=

d/(dv)[du/ds + du/dt * dt/ds]=

d/(dv)[du/ds+du(s,t(s,v))/dt * dt(s,v)/ds]=

d^2u/dsdt * dt/dv + d^2u/dt^2 * dt/dv * dt/ds + du/dt* d^t/dsdv

Write it down in usual partial derivative notation and you'll see where it all comes from.

Please don't give out complete solutions (even if they are grievously incorrect like this one), it violates forum rules and doesn't help the student learn the material.

cloudone said:

Homework Statement

express [tex](\frac{\partial u}{\partial s})_{v}[/tex] in terms of partial derivatives of u(s,t) and t(s,v)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty stuck with this problem. I know that

dv = [tex](\frac{\partial v}{\partial s})_{t} ds + (\frac{\partial v}{\partial t})_{s} dt[/tex]

and similarly for u(s,t) and t(s,v). But problem is that where do I get [tex](\frac{\partial u}{\partial s})_{v}[/tex] from, and how to express it?

For starters, [itex]u(s,t)[/itex] is a function of both [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], so use the chain rule.

gabbagabbahey said:
Please don't give out complete solutions (even if they are grievously incorrect like this one), it violates forum rules and doesn't help the student learn the material.

I apologize. The solution is correct though.

UD1 said:
I apologize. The solution is correct though.

No, it isn't. You've misinterpreted the question/notation.

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)_v\neq\frac{\partial}{\partial v}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)[/tex]

Instead, [itex]\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}\right)_v[/itex] is defined as the derivative of [itex]u[/itex] w.r.t [itex]s[/itex], while [itex]v[/itex] is held constant. It's a specific type of partial derivative.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures how a function changes with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced as "partial") followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken.

2. Why do we use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to understand how a function behaves in multi-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in optimization problems where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function with respect to multiple variables.

3. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest.

4. How is the chain rule applied in practice?

In practice, the chain rule is applied by first identifying the outer and inner functions in a composite function. Then, the derivatives of these functions are calculated separately. Finally, the results are multiplied together to get the final derivative.

5. Can the chain rule be extended to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be extended to functions with any number of variables. In such cases, we use the concept of partial derivatives and the chain rule for partial derivatives to find the derivative of the composite function with respect to the variable of interest.